SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Here's a Quick Peek of Ladies in Red!

marthavila
15 years ago

Most of you who've "known" me for the past 2 years or so on this forum, also know I've been shy about showing any pre-completion project photos. However, my claret red Aga 6-4 finally went in today! And, in doing so, she now meets her best friend and companion, the claret red Modern-Aire PS26 range hood. I tell ya, after waiting so long for this match made in MV's kitchen heaven, I can't help myself in breaking my own "no-photos" rule. So here's a real quick peek of Marthavila's "Ladies in Red!" As you can see, they are all decked out and properly attired for Christmas! Just a doggone shame that I won't be able to fire 'em up in time for Christmas, though. As you can also see, I'm still a ways off from having a functional kitchen. But, hey . . . I'm getting there!

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Comments (39)

• ellen917
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG, you are living my dream! Those are fan-flippin-tastic! Perhaps you'll be able to do some wonderful Valentine's things with those lovely ladies! Congrats!

• histokitch
    15 years ago

Are you dying to use them? Everything's coming along so well.

• Related Discussions

Peek into my backyard...

Q

Comments (15)
    You guys are sooo nice! I feel so much better about things now. It's so hard to feel like you have accomplished anything when you see the weed patches and the bare-spots and the plants that are on life support (...trust me...they are there...I just didn't include them in the pictures..!). That's why this site is so cool and the people on it. Here's one more from the side yard which is to the left of the orange tree..again, work in progress. This was taken at dusk so it's not as bright as the other photos. This area gets a lot of sun almost all day. The goal is to plant things that will block the view of my neighbor's house. Nice people - but, I dont like living 2 inches from them. I like to plant in 'layers' on the fence line. I have a Travellers Palm and a baby honey-bell orange tree with loads of ruellia in the front of both. Behind them, I have more cape honeysuckle and hot-pink bougie (not blooming). Thinking about weeding out the ruellia and moving some of the plants to another location. I'm wondering if they are keeping the trees from growing as quick as they should be?
    ...See More

Lady in Red issue

Q

Comments (20)
    I have two batches of LIR. One in a container on my patio that I move around to keep it in the sun through the day. The other batch is in the garden in a spot that gets no more than half the amount of sun the container does. The garden batch is having a very tough time developing healthy bloom spikes. Nearly all of them are short, squiggly, have few blooms, and just look crappy in general. The LIR in the container look great, with tons of 5-9 inch spikes and healthy blooms every morning. Is the poor spike/bloom development of the garden batch due to lack of sun? I've also been watering both batches every day. Could the container batch be healthy because it can more easily dry out and the garden batch just remains too wet?
    ...See More

OT-sneak peek at cake

Q

Comments (15)
    isn't that darling? I really didn't have my hopes set very high, as she usually does just a mediocre job, but she was only going to charge me $23 for a cake that will feed 50. At this point I figured that whatever she did was better than I could do!LOL I was just so pleased and impressed! I will definitely use her again instead of the grocery store I usually use when I am being lazy. I've had her cake before at a retirement too, and it was yuuummmyy! Glad I got a big one, should be some leftover!!! Thanks for sharing this with me! Lisa
    ...See More

Sneak Peek....vintage kitchen :)

Q

Comments (82)
    Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers...of course, they are purple! LOL But they're so pretty and the fragrance is amazing. Thank you for the kind words. I've been working on my pages the last few weeks and it's been fun. I almost sprained my toe (silly accident) but I'm almost back to being able to wear my boots. So planting the garden this week...at least the middle beds! When we finish that, we're planning to paint the kitchen! I'm so excited to get the base cabinets all the same color...at least on the sink wall : ) Texas- I am only a pro on the website/blog category...although I did sell furniture and do a little design work, years back. But gardening is so much fun. It's amazing how creative one can be, even on a limited budget. And the garden changes a little every year....which is fun, too.
    ...See More
  • bodiCA
    15 years ago

LOVE your Ladies in Red! What a beautiful design and I really appreciate the smooth easy to keep clean front. The continuous grills also make me smile, to move heavy castiron to other burners easily. Your small backsplash tile pattern looks wonderful with the AGA large blocks, I'm most interested to see your kitchen progress. Oh and your soft cove curved ceiling, Love such details! I'm so happy for you, merry christmas! Your kitchen is one to watch!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh, those are gorgeous. That backsplash tile is a very nice compliment to them. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Oh my!!

It is Gorgeous!

The red painted ladies look utterly magnificent and utterly and sublimely at home in that white, bright marbled space.

Good golly, it is magnificent. I'm so glad you broke your rule - that is just splendid.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing that picture, marthavila! That is GORGEOUS!!! Deceptively old-fashioned looking stove (those are some evil ladies in red!) with LOTS of knobs (!), crazy cool hood, beautiful cabinets, and such a perfect backsplash with it! You're making me wish I'd gone mini-brick instead of 3x6! Wow.

It'll all be worth the wait. The pain. The agony. The screaming and cursing and... oh, but it's so beautiful! Deep sigh.

Can't wait for the FKB pix. :-)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Just fabulous!!! Looks like things are moving along. LOVE the backsplash. When do you think you might be done? What about "the other" kitchen reno?

• User
    15 years ago

Hey MV that looks wonderful! The ladies are going to perform like a dream I am sure. You are making fantastic progress. c

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Those are two hot babes! Are you going to have any additional red in your kitchen, or do you need any more? Red is my second favorite color after blue.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! The cabinets and backsplash are pretty wonderful, too. They are all perfect together.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

omg, omg, omg,.... I am ga ga over this look! amazing.

the current issue of Better Homes and Gardens K&B has a red kitchen and I just fell for it head over heals... just like I am falling for yours! LOVE IT!!

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

All I can say is WOO HOOOO!!!! And I love the backsplash. Your kitchen is going to rock.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

MV
    Oh,la, la - The ladies have arrived - Lets hope they perform as good as they look!
    Can't wait to see more photos

Things are looking lovely!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Wowee, I can see why you had to share-- they are gorgeous! Your kitchen looks cheery and wonderful. Can't wait to see more.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

YOWZA those are some hot ladies! Love the look!
    You have got to post some more pics of what you have
    going on! Congrats!
    vic

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Well, yum yum! Those are beautiful! One of those pictures that produce drool on the keyboard . . .

Arlene

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

oh geez. oh geez. *slobber*

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

That is worth lusting after... I feel so dirty now...

• rgillman
    15 years ago

GASP! For once, I am speechless. More gorgeous than I ever imagined, my friend! Glad to see it coming together! What are you doing on Christmas? If you're coming out to W.O, come over for a drink!! Let me know.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all sooo much for your very kind comments! (They mean so much to me!) I purchased the range in August of '07 and it was delivered to me in February '08. It's been sitting in my house patiently waiting for a place in the kitchen landscape all this time. When I finally saw it installed today, paired with the matching MA hood, it was a definite dream come true --even though a fully completed kitchen is still some months off.

At this point, all the cabs are in and I expect the appliance install to be finished by the New Year. However, I am also awaiting a very delayed order on new window replacements. In addition, some of you may remember that my Rohl Shaw's sink got damaged when my to-die-for soapstone countertops(Green Mountain PA) were installed. (Wish I could show you those as well but they're under all that cardboard on top of the cabs -- and awaiting final wood floor refinishing.) Although I'm blessed to have an installer who did not give me grief about replacing the sink, the actual replacement is unlikely to happen until the holiday season is over. Therefore, I also won't be grouting my white mosaic marble backsplash until the sink replacement is completed. (Yes, you called it Mindstorm!) What is not apparent in the photos is that that marble is not just gray and white like Carrara. It's a Turkish marble that is primarily white with gray veining but also has occasional gold veining (like Calacatta) and just the sheerest hint of a pink in it. Against my soapstone, which has caramel and white veining and my red appliances, that backsplash is an even better complement than the photos show.

Bluekit: Yes, I do plan to have some additional red in the kitchen. Besides my red Aga cookware and other arty accessories, there is a wall-to-floor bay window area at one end of this galley-style kitchen. It's there that I plan to install a small "bistro-like" dining nook. It will have French cafe chairs in a red/ivory rattan weave that matches the red of the range and hood. The cafe table has an antique black cast iron base. I'm looking to top it with either glazed red lavastone OR calacatta marble. We're pricing those tops right now and have yet to make a decision.

Mahlgold: Shssh! You are spilling my secret! LOL! Oh well, since I've hinted at it myself from time to time,I might as well just out it for those of you who are reading this thread. My "other" kitchen is what started out as my temp kitchen but, TKO person that I've become, morphed into a whole new, fully complete 2nd kitchen. (My house is a 3-story, single family NYC limestone townhouse; however, the plan is to create a rental unit for income purposes when I retire and this "other" kitchen -- actually the original kitchen of the house-- will become part of that unit). I went as low budget on this "other" kitchen as I could, installing features such as a Wilsonart HD Laminate countertop and importing my used Ikea cabs, appliances and other accessories from my primary kitchen. I was also able to maximize on the house's original architecture (original subway tiles, 1920's era lineolum, stripped wood mouldings, adjacent butler's pantry, etc.) I promise that, when I unveil my main kitchen in the early spring, I'll also unveil my "other" beloved, low budget and new kitchen as well.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

They're beautiful. You're going to love using that AGA!! (Not that I've ever used one, but they look so great!)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very stylish--just like you!!!! :-)

• neesie
    15 years ago

Wow! I love the ladies for not being "Neutral". They really deserve to be seen! Thanks for breaking the no-photo rule. Good luck on your kitchens, I look forward to seeing more.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am so crazy-grateful to have popped in here tonight on my way to bed -- and now I am going to have the sweetest and snazziest dreams courtesy of you, Friend!

As you know yours is a kitchen (I mean kitchens) I have been itching itching itching to see! And honestly, seeing your red babes, those gorgeous cabinets and that dive-in delicious backsplash has made me both craving more but also sated, like "okay -- it is so beautiful that all of it at once might hurt my eyes!"

Thank you SO MUCH my dear for breaking your "no-teaser pics" rule -- we are a multicultural family so are doing both Hanukkah and Christmas, so for me your pictures (and I am not kidding here) were like a little holiday present! And I love presents.

Yea for you and your kitchen!!!

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

Santa Baby!!! Oh the red is stunning... and perfect Christmas post too! I love it! Especially with the matching hood. Can't wait to share aga tips!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love red too.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Your stove and hood are gorgeous! Is your hood hooked up yet? How do you like it (I love mine!)? We're not near as far along as you but do have my old chambers positioned under the hood and DH is finishing up the trim--I really like the way they mounted yours. I know when mine arrived, it was BIG and I was worried it was too big, but after it was up and the stove positioned under, am so glad I got the larger size. Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen (well, both your kitchens!).

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

This is going to sound like a stupid question - but I'm not a kitchen expert (and my kitchen revolved around a very LOW budget so I'm not familiar with the upper end $$$ range models!)

So here's my question: Can you put a larger cookie sheet in the AGA oven? The doors don't look very wide to me and it looks like there is a divider between them.

The range and hood are beautiful and sure make your kitchen say "WOW"!!!

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Downsy, the ovens are small: Not really an issue after you know which of your sheets and pans will fit, and handy for doing multiple different dishes.

FABULOUS! Marthavila, you have a winner: The ladies are scrumptious, and the cabs and counters (and oooooohhhh love the back splash and can't believe it's already in...) and lovely whole will make you smile for years to come! Sorry about the sink (missed that episode), but you sound like you are content and patient.

Huzzah!

• caligal
    15 years ago

So beautiful! I am gaga over your AGA.... Merry Christmas and thanks for the sneak peek.

• gailrolfe
    15 years ago

Those look so nice...I love the red statement and it sounds like you have a good vision of how to pull all the color together! When I started this process, I thought I'd never want a range (I've never had one) but if I ever do another one...it'll be one of these gorgeous ranges I've learned about on GW! What a nice way to have some Christmas color while you're waiting.

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

Your ladies and their companions, cabinets and backsplash, are FABULOUS...and to think you agonized between a black or clarat Aga....Your dream kitchen is coming true.

I am soooo happy for you! Happy, happy holidays (I know they're already off to a great start).

• marthavila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. Like many of you, I'm frantically trying to get my head, house and "other" kitchen in some kind of order for the holiday gatherings. So, unfortunately, and despite my addiction to the KF, I know I just can't linger here as long as I would wish today! But thank you, thank you, all over again for the good cheer you're giving me with your posts. Shucks, I feel like Sally Fields (They like 'em! They really like 'em!) LOL!

Here's some quick answers to questions:

Farmhousebound: Everything is installed except the "innards" -- baffles, switches,etc. So, no, I haven't even turned it on as yet. Honestly, I had the same reaction as you when it arrived -- it looked humongous. But now that the range is under it, I'm thinking the size and fit couldn't be better. Especially with that barrel-like shape, I can't wait to see it do it's capture thing. I also can't wait to see yours with your Chambers! (Or your whole fantastic kitchen, for that matter). When do you think you'll be done?

Downsy, you got the best answer to your question from Claybabe (another Aga 6-4 owner who inspired me to take the Aga plunge and who has an over-the-top beautiful kitchen,btw). I would only add that an Aga 6-4 is a European appliance manufactured and designed with very classic European sensibility about size. There's no doubt that, in comparison to standard American units, the 6-4's ovens are rather small. In practice, however, they are not as small as they look; you can easily get a 16 lb turkey in there, for example? Need more bird? Well, cook 2! LOL! In fact, with 4 ovens, you have a tremendous amount of latitude in choosing to cook big or small -- and using only the fuel that you truly need in the process.

• megradek
    15 years ago

stunning...it's gonna be unbelievable! btw...love the backsplash, too :)

• richpoor
    15 years ago

"Fan-f***ing-TASTIC!"

Pardon the French, but this was a classic line by Shirley Maclaine in "Terms of Endearment," and her enthusiastic delivery is what immediately pops to mind when I see that !!RED!! oven. WOW!!! That's better than a roll in the hay with Jack Nicholson! (which is what Shirley was referring to)

I truly admire folks like you who can make statements with something so unusual and stunning. I, on the other hand, can only stare in awe, then turn sheepishly back to my safe stainless steel and inert imagination.

What's the backsplash tile? I LOVE the mini-subway!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

OMG! Gorgeous! I wish I had the b@lls to do that -- I fantasized briefly about the white cabinets and Vino Bertazzoni stove, before I gave in and went with plain stainless.

That peek is a jaw-dropper! Can't wait for FKB pics!

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks for breaking your rule and sharing the pictures. My own kitchen has been (mostly) done for quite a while, but I still enjoy checking in here to see how folks I came to know are doing. I remember when you decided to go "red" and have been looking forward to seeing your Aga. I love how everything is coming together. You must be so pleased!

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

MV, thanks so much for posting! As you know, you were one of the primary inspirations for us ordering a Modernaire hood (which is sitting shrink-wrapped in my basemenet as I write)... Like you, I am paranoid about posting too many pix before it's *all* done, but we are close!

Can't wait to see how it all comes together - so far it is just beautiful - and red is my favourite colour :-)

Happy holidays!

Eliz

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Wow! Amazing choice!

There is beautiful 12x12 mesh of crushed red glass splash material(2x2)
    : now that would have been extremely Bold!
    I love red! Kohler has a special order cast iron kitchen sink: RED! We had one in our house in the 80's.
    My third favorite granite it Juparana Dark Red Bordeaux: very Bold.

Post new pictures when the kitchen is completed!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths