SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Kitchen Lighting - are recessed lights the only way?

karenmaness
14 years ago

We are in the planning stages of updating our 1991 kitchen and we're currently working on a lighting plan. Just to get started, we called an electrician out of the phone book to come talk to us about options. The difficult thing about re-lighting our kitchen is that we have a 2nd floor above (instead of an attic) so access for running wires and such is very poor. I had thought we would replace our fluorescent box in the center of the working area with a grid of 6 recessed lights, put pendants over our peninsula, and then put another set of 4 or 6 recessed lights over the breakfast area. The electrician who came out this afternoon was not really in favor of putting in recessed lights, however. He said that for one thing, we'd probably have to tear the whole ceiling out to do it. He said you could try to cut holes to get the cans and wiring situated, but that interference from existing wires, pipes, floor joists, etc. would likely require lots of holes to be cut and patched. With our smooth ceiling, he was worried the ceiling would look "patchy" when all was said and done and that we'd be better off to take the whole ceiling down, install the new lights, and then put up new drywall. He also didn't seem to be a huge fan of recessed lights in general in terms of providing good general lighting. That's all anyone seems to use nowadays, however, so I feel confused. Tearing down the whole ceiling is a lot more involved than we wanted to get on the lighting portion of our remodel. The alternative he suggested was to remove the fluorescent box and install an updated fluorescent fixture (he recommended the Litepuff by Lithonia). It allows light out all sides (as compared to our current box which just sends light out the bottom), and he said it would do a much better job lighting our cabinets, etc. For the pendants over the peninsula, he said we could do separate pendants or maybe consider a track that would allow us to install pendants or other fixtures. The installation advantage of the track would be that it's less sheetrock invasive and just involves powering one fixture instead of 3 separate ones. Of course, we will be putting in undercabinet lighting, and he also suggested rope lighting on top of our cabinets.

I think the Litepuff would be a whole lot more functional than our current box, but I don't want to spend $10K on a kitchen remodel and have our lighting still look dated. Has anyone used a Litepuff or similar modern fluorescent fixture? Have you liked it? Or is recessed lighting the only way to "update" your lighting from a resale standpoint?

What do you think about track lighting over the peninsula instead of 3 separate pendants?

The electrician was a very nice older man who has tons of experience, but I felt like he was definitely looking for the low-cost options on improving our illumination (which I appreciated). However, I'm not sure we want to go completely on the cheap with lighting considering we are planning on putting at least $10K into the kitchen total.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor