SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adel97

opinions on island plan, please. And a boxerpups challenge?

adel97
13 years ago

Some progress: maple hardwood floors are in(!) and perimeter cabinets should be installed in a couple of weeks.

BUT, my island saga continues... The goal is an island that gives me much needed counter space and storage but also incorporates comfortable table-height seating for three (4 in a pinch). Earlier I toyed with the idea of a separate island and table but decided after multiple mock-ups and help from the folks on this board in an earlier thread and offline, that an integrated table would make the kitchen less cluttered and provide better aisle clearances, etc. We also toyed with not having seating at all in the kitchen (we use our DR for dinners now anyway) but that was nixed for multiple reasons. Island height seating is out (was in, out, in, out, in, and finally out! LOL!). Anyway, the current plan, which drops down to table height over the open shelves, is here (showing cabinets only, the countertop will add another 3 inches of width):

DH has been wonderfully supportive of all my choices so far because whenever he questions something (he is a very visual person), I just show him a picture of something similar and he gets comfortable that it won't be "weird". It goes something like this, every time:

Me: I want to do dark stained cabinets and a white-ish countertop (or pendants on a rail, or a pyramid hood, or whatever).

DH: That sounds weird, are you sure?

Me (scrolling through pics on internet): See, it will look something like this.

DH: Oh, ok. Looks good! Whatever you want, honey.

The problem is, I have not been able to find a picture of an island with a similar setup (I've tried google images, HOUZZ, nothing!), so DH is convinced that it looks weird, and--dare I say it--"phallic." I don't see "phallic" AT ALL. Maybe the drawing, but it is a DRAWING, not the actual island and we don't plan to hang upside down from the ceiling much looking down at the footprint, right?

So, finally, my question is: can he possibly have a point? If so, can you think of a different/better design for the island that accomplishes the goals? Or, better yet (boxerpups??), can you find a picture of an island with this configuration? If no picture, is there some easy-to-use rendering software that would let us "see" the island in 3D? I've tried sketchup and Interiors, but am useless with both. DH will be fine with whatever I choose in the end, but I think I'm letting his comments influence my confidence in this island design a bit... The closest pics I have found are these below but both have the circular table coming directly off the rectangular island, which to me makes the eating area a bit cramped.

Soliciting all thoughts and opinions from the brilliant TKO minds at GW...

Comments (13)