SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigdoglover

Help please -- flex duct in range hood

bigdoglover
12 years ago

Last night I read PeterH2's comment not to use flex duct in a range hood because of possible grease build-up/fire hazard.

"Moving a range hood by a few inches" by dee850,

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg121718033887.html?7

Yesterday I had my exhaust fan insert installed in my wood mantle hood, and he did use flex duct! I questioned that and he said he couldn't use rigid duct because there were no doors on the front of it, so it was not possible to get up in there to do it. This seems unlikely -- how many range hoods must there be that don't have doors! Then he said flex duct is in compliance code.

The stove backs up to an exterior wall, so the exhaust vent (which he also installed just yesterday -- builder had not done so) goes pretty much straight out. I'm not sure how long the run from the fan is vertically, but can't be more than a few inches to a foot.

So, does this make a difference re grease/fire hazard? Does what my installer said have merit? My hood is basically a big square box, easy to stand up in and move around some. Should I ask him to come back and change to the rigid flex that Peter was talking about?

Unfortunately the granite is now installed so he's going to have a much harder time getting up in there than he did yesterday, when he could stand on a piece of plywood on the cabinets. I'm not about to let him stand on my granite or on my new cooktop.

The exhaust fan also vibrates a lot at top speed, so much that the wood hood can be felt vibrating. I'm wondering if this is because of the air resistance against the flex duct. It is a Faber 600cfm exhaust fan.

Comments (12)