SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Back with Finished Kitchen-creamy white & lots of windows

eks6426
13 years ago

Well, the journey took about a year but I am finally done with my kitchen remodel. We were functioning in the kitchen in early summer but there were lots of hanging details like painting trim etc. that we pushed to get done just before Thanksgiving.

A big thank you to everyone here on Garden Web who answered my many many posts. Also a bit thank you to those of you who posted your questions, stories & photos--learning from others helped a lot!

So, here are the details:

Cabinets: Custom designed by me. Crafted locally. I designed the cabinets to hold the items I wanted to store in them. The cabinet folks thought I was crazy when I would hand them a big bowl and say, "make sure it fits." But I love the cabinets and their functionality. My space is small so every little nook & cranny got used.

Hardware: Top Knobs Princetonian...Inspired by a kitchen here..can't remember who but THANK YOU! Love these handles and I love them installed all horizontally.

Granite: Antique Gold. Many trips to Chicago granite yards. This one was not my first love...that belongs to November Sky granite..but now that Antique Gold is installed I can't imagine anything else.

Windows: Replaced all windows & added some. Windows down to the countertop are one of my favorite things. The granite guys added a tiny granite edge in front of the windows which looks really nice too.

Sinks: Kohler Cast Iron Smart Divide in biscuit (main sink) & Kohler cast Iron prep sink. Prep sink turned out to be larger than planned because the granite guys cut the hole too big. In the end, I am really happy with the smaller sink. Many people commented that I wouldn't need/use the prep sink in such a small kitchen and that the location at the end of a countertop run wasn't great...But it is the main thing that helps my kitchen function well for 2 cooks. I am super glad that I stuck to what I wanted on this one!

Faucets: Kohler Simplice pull-outs. Simple & effective. So far no problems. Also have Kohler soap dispenser with a Never M-T...fabulous invention! Garbage disposal air switches..couldn't live without these.

Instant Hot--LOVE LOVE LOVE this feature..especially as the weather is getting colder. I drink lots of tea. Hubby drinks coffee. He bought a French press for coffee and uses the instant hot. No more electric coffee pot clutter...great bonus!

Stove--Dacor 36" 6 burner range. 36" stove is fabulous. I rarely use all the burners but I love all the spreading out space.

Shelving in front of windows. I know this is strange but it really works for me. They are basic wire shelves. They could span 6' without a center support. It's very nice not having to open drawers/cabinets to get out pans and every day dishes.

Flooring--oak flooring. Flooring wasn't supposed to change. I had tile that was decent but it cracked so we ripped out the tile (what a job!) and had oak flooring put in...the rest of my house is hardwood so we had the flooring integrated with the adjacent rooms. I am so glad the tile cracked...hard wood is wonderful.

Range hood--Kobe with custom built surround. First range hood I have had that vents outside...It actually works! It isn't as quiet as I would have liked but it still works great.

I think these are the basics. If there is anything else you want to know about, let me know.

After:

Before:

Comments (57)

• lala girl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely Lovely!

There are so many special details in your space. I LOVE the open shelving across the windows, functionally so great and really looks terrific. I also especially love the lighting over the kitchen table, the wall color, the hardware, and of course your lovely stone. The windows and natural light are spectacular also.

Enjoy your wonderful space and thanks for sharing!

• Susan
    13 years ago

that's a gorgeous kitchen. light and bright and just gorgeous.
    may i ask the wall coulor in the ktichen?
    thanks for posting !

• Related Discussions

Mostly finished creamy white - before and after pics

Q

Comments (40)
    VaBeachGirl, here are 2 pictures of the LG freezer drawer. I don't know why manufactures can't put good pictures of opened appliances on the web. I had the same frustration. The bottom drawer is solid plastic (I saw some freezers where it wasn't solid) and has a movable divider. Its about 11" deep at the deepest part. There is also a wire top drawer, about 7ish" deep. I wish the top drawer pulled out a little farther. Overall, I'm happy with the refrigerator. I've only been using it for a few months but it handled everything I stuffed into it for holiday parties. A big selling point for us were the bins on the doors. A lot of refrigerators I looked at had curved bins that didn't hold that much. The LG door bins appeared to be larger than most. The bottom freezer takes a little getting used to. We don't use much ice and the ice bin takes up a lot of room on the upper drawer. I am going to see if a smaller bin will work with the icemaker, without ice spilling out of it
    ...See More

Finished pics - Creamy white, stained island

Q

Comments (68)
    I am fairly new to this forum and have enjoyed browsing through all of the lovely kitchens and reading the comments but I have yet to comment myself. Until now...I must tell you- I LOVE your kitchen!! It's my 'dream' kitchen! We are getting ready to do a full remodel of our kitchen and I am completely stuck on the cabinets. Due to our budget, we have selected Mid Continent Cabinetry and I cannot decide on a door style!?! :-\ Would you mind helping me select a door style that would be similar to yours? I can't exactly tell from the pictures just what yours look like and since every company offers something different, I'm just not sure which one to go with! Here is the link to the Mid Continent site: http://midcontinentcabinetry.com/Products/Signature_Series/ We will be going with the Signature Series, full-overlay door. I am considering the Adams with the 5-piece drawer option (least expensive) in the Traditional door style, the Concord (mid-expensive level) or the Mission (most expensive) both with the 5-piece drawer option in the Simple door style. Or should I select something different? I would appreciate any and all input! I'm so stuck!!! Thanks much! Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Continent Signature Series door styles
    ...See More

99% Finished Kitchen--creamy white w/soapstone

Q

Comments (156)
    Beautiful, cozy, elegant! My black soapstone just came in. My cabinets are a very light maple shaker style. Appliances all Stainless steal. I will have an island. It's time to paint my newly sheet rocked walls. I'm leaning toward white with a different white for trim and ceilings but there are so many whites I can't decide. I am worried about making it too cold and sterile. Also thinking of a very slight gray perhaps on one walls. The kitchen has decent light but not great. The entry near sliding door has raja slate. I do not have high ceilings but they are 11 ft. It is not completely open to living room but partially open to dining room. Backsplash will be white sub tile. Any suggestions for paint color. We like clean, crisp, minimalist looks with straight lines but also cozy. Thanks for any suggestions!
    ...See More

Creamy white cabs with bright white trim in rest of kitchen

Q

Comments (12)
    Ok thanks. But here's the thing. I don't want a cream kitchen. I want white - but not stark, antiseptic white. Shiloh's polar white is just that. It's definitely creamy, but not ivory. I guess I'll have to wait to bring a sample cabinet into my home but I'm pretty set on that color cabinet (I think it'll work very well with the imperial danby and walnut countertops that I want) and I don't think we're going to be willing to repaint all the trim that we just painted!
    ...See More
  • ptyles
    13 years ago

It is gorgeous! I love your granite and the wires shelves add a little something to the kitchen, a bit of sparkle perhaps? I ordered a very similar chandelier for over our dinette table.

• homechef
    13 years ago

You've done an outstanding job with your space. Simply beautiful. Congratulations!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Wow it turned out beautifully! I too love the shelves in front of the windows. So many great details: pulls, lighting, the granite aprons in front of the sinks. You did a great job. Congrats and enjoy!

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Great transformation! It looks beautiful.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I can't stop looking at your beautiful kitchen! Where did you get the pendants over the kitchen table? I'm really digging them!

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

I think banishing your fridge to a non-prominent position is aesthetically brilliant, and I hope you are finding the extra few steps well worth while on a daily basis. The silver shelves with the aqua bowls are a lovely window treatment. Congrats on everything.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

stunning! i love those pendant lights and the outdoor plants. wow! beautiful transformation.

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Stunning!
    Would you mind posting photos of the frig and built-in pantry area?
    Thanks!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi eks...

I don't know what November Sky looks like...(I will google it, I'm so curious)..but I just love your granite. It looks marbley to me and elegant with your cabinets. I also love the beautiful pots on the shelves. What a great idea! And those pendants...lovely!

KA:)

• byronroad
    13 years ago

Wow - I love this space, when I see pictures of kitchens with this colour scheme it always reminds me that I made the right decision in making ours the same. Our shape and size is similar to yours 20' x 10' with a peninsula and they really are efficient aren't they.
    The wire racks in front of the windows is a really great use of space - something I would never have thought of doing.
    Such calm space, love it.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

Love it! You made so many lovely choices! I really like the lighter granite with the white cabinets, and the floor is beautiful too!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Love the combination of your wall color with the pieces on your open shelves, and also your pendants are so pretty!

• pacific_flights
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love everything about it. You're killing me with those pendants. I've been searching hi and low for those for my bathroom remodel but can't seem to find them in stock. Could you share where you got them? Also, love the paint color, do you have the name? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura Ashley Pendant

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Great job! What a cool idea with the shelves across the window. Can we see a better shot of what looks like glass cabinets across from the range?

I'd like to know the wall color in the kitchen and dining room too. Thanks.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

If I didn't know by reading, I wouldn't think it was the same space....BEAUTIFUL!

And those shelves in front of the window......brilliant!

• User
    13 years ago

Love it all ! I have almost exactly the same wood hood surround. Great place for artwork etc . I love the shelves in front of the windows and the all the way to the counter top. Very nice. c

• User
    13 years ago

I love the pendants!!! Everything else is just gorgeous, too, but I.LOVE.THE.PENDANTS!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, cool!!! It looks fantastic! Came out great! I love the openness around the table with the focus on the windows. Great choice.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a few more details...
    In order to use the space wisely, we have a clever cabinet that makes the best use of the wall opposite the counter run. On the other side of the wall is the 1/2 bath for the downstairs (only bathroom on this floor). I designed a cabinet that was shallower than normal but still really functional. It's 16" deep. Top part is glass doors with dishes on shelves. Middle section contains our toaster oven and microwave..yes I know this is controversial but we don't use either often and I like the clean look. Doors slide in when used.

On the side of this cabinet is can cabinet that goes from floor to ceiling and holds all the cans single deep. This cabinet is fabulous..no more digging around for things.
    Pics below.
    Front view with the doors closed.

Doors open with toaster oven and microwave. We ran separate electrical circuits for each so they can run at the same time!

Can cabinet open. upper and lower doors were more stable than one big one. Doors line up with the rest of the panel that encloses the cabinet.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I was aiming for light, bright and airy. Even though the footprint of the space remained the same, it is such an entirely different place to be now.

The metal shelving over the windows is really unusual and everyone thought I was crazy for them but they work really well for us..and the chrome does sparkle. I tried to find them in stainless (to match the stove & faucets) but they were too expensive. chrome works just fine.

We have plugmold under the cabinets to the right & left of the range. We did this remodel mostly ourselves and that darn plugmold was the worst thing we did. My husband said, "NEVER AGAIN" about plugmold.

I will try to get some more pictures of details to post.

On the table...It's a table I have had since the mid 90s. I bought it at a place called Naked Furniture which I think is gone now. I looked through a lot of catalogs to find it. It was one of those places where the furniture came unifnished then I picked the stain. I was into more the reddish wood at the time...really wish it were more brown now.

The pendant lights were a huge fiasco. Many years ago, Pottery Barn had lights like these. They were called Gracie. They were out of my budget at the time so I didn't get them. By the time I had the money, they were discontinued. Several years later, I found an ad in magazine showing the same lights. I kept that ad for years until 2009..then ordered them from GreatChandeliers.com. The lights arrived and looked nothing like the picture on the website. I didn't have all the crystals. Then I got billed twice. I got GreatChandeliers.com to send me enough crystals (it took several tries!) and got my credit card company involved for the duplicate charge then spent probably 3 hours per light making them look like this. The pendant is basically a series of rings that are held with chains. The lights were very elongated so empty space between the rows of crystals. I took out links and used a lot of wire to get them in the right place...and the same. Then put the crystals back on. I had to have the crystals off to rearrange the layers then back on to check them so it took a long time. In the end, I'm very happy with them but I should have just bought the Pottery Barn ones years ago. I didn't know the Laura Ashely line had similar ones. Here is the link for GreatChandeliers.com. I'd order with caution: http://www.spectrumhome3.com/spectrumhomeN/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2508

We also have toe-kick drawers under most of the cabinets. The cabinet to the right of the sink is actually our dishwasher. I had the front panel made to look like drawers. I love how it looks, but it turns out that the panel is a little heavy and the hinges on my KitchenAid DW went out last week. I am thinking about what to do now.

Will try to get pics of the fridge & pantry areas next.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - what a transformation! so much brighter than before. I love your granite, floors and lights. It's great that you have the exact storage needed. Enjoy.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is a toe-kick panel for under the DW so it is creamy white too...we had it off because were were having problems with the DW hinges...

Wall paint is a custom color I had created. It is Sherwin Williams Cashmere paint in eggshell. If you like, I can copy the formula and post it?

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen! Simple yet elegant. Airy and light and super purdy! All the more fantastic because you pulled all this off while working with a relatively small footprint (a challenge I know well). Two thumbs up on this one. You go!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

One of the kitchens I've been waiting to see finished!! A total success...I love it! The little breakfast area has a wonderful feel and I really like your dish/microwave/pantry cabinet. THe whole kitchen looks just beautiful, and the granite is perfect.

• drjoann
    13 years ago

As a lover (& soon to be owner) of white kitchens, it is a thrill to look at yours. So airy & light. As others have said, the shelves across the window are brilliant.

I'd love to have the paint formula.

Thanks - Jo Ann

• cplover
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! Did you like your contractor? Would you be willing to share the name? I too am in the Chicago area, western suburbs. I am also interested in seeing photos of your hardwood floor transition. We want to put hardwood floors in the kitchen to match the rest of the home but are worried that it will be very noticeable. Would appreciate any advice or even the name of your flooring person.

Again, just a stunning kitchen!! I planning for a white painted shaker style cabinet kitchen too!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness I am totally coveting your multi-purpose pantry cabinet! That is genius!

You have done just a fantastic job! It is so spacious and bright and sophisticated. Really, really gorgeous!

Congrats!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Just love the two sink areas with the shelving!

Beautiful granite, cabinetry, and lighting!

• theanimala
    13 years ago

SNAP! I love it! As a fellow horizontal pull person I love the look of it. I also just love how everything just seems to work together. Great job, enjoy!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Love your choice of where to put the prep sink... I can understand how it works so well in your space.

What is your dreamy wall color?

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love the window shelves and the hood cover is really great. LOVE this kitchen!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and such clever uses of your space! Love the customized cabs!

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

Eeep, sorry about the trouble with the chandelier order but WOW -- your hard work really paid off. They look amazing!

• doonie
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos! It looks wonderful. I love your intimate eating area and the lighting you chose.

Enjoy your lovely new space!

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Wow, BRAVO to you and your DH. Your new kitchen is beautiful and what a transformation. Add me to the list of those loving your lighting selections. They are YUMMY! And those windows.....SIGH.......gorgeous - I want!!! :)

Congratulations on your wonderful renovation. You did GOOD.

• artmeetsscience
    13 years ago

Congratulations! First impression is WOW, what a beautiful and stylish kitchen. I love the granite, the window shelving and your confidence to make the kitchen uniquely your own. All this and then great use of space and detail. It is a great kitchen.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen, and I agree, the lights, though a hassle, are perfect! I also love the can storage and the cabinet with the pocket doors --- it is genius!

I may have missed it in the above posts, but what is your cabinet color?

I'm also curious to know about your first love granite, because this one is PERFECT! Enjoy the kitchen this holiday season!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Nice kitchen. I like how the lines of the window shelving tie in the lines of your drawer handles.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Add me to the list of those who love your "window treatments".
    I also love how you put granite where the fake drawer usually is in front of your sink.
    You have a magazine worthy kitchen that looks like it functions beautifully ;)
    Your lighting is the cherry on the top!

• foosabear
    13 years ago

WOW! It's absolutely beautiful! You must be so pleased. I think you accomplished your goal of light, bright and airy perfectly. Congratulations! :o)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Those are theanimala's pulls! I love them too! They've been at the top of my list.

I echo everyone else's comments on how gorgeous, fabulous, genius, beautiful, wonderful, and fantastic your kitchen is! Congratulations! And thanks for so many pics. Enjoy!

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Oh, Congrats!! It's beautiful. I love your clever pantry idea, what a way to use space!

Also love the shelves as everyone else, and the granite in front of the sink. Haven't seen that done before. It's very pretty.

Don't know if I missed it, but if so, do you mind sharing the color of your cabinets?

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Another add into "My Kitchen Inspirations"! Absolutely beautiful! Like others have said, the use of the granite in front of the sinks is unusual and gorgeous. I am loving the can pantry/dish/toaster oven cabinet. Very creative!

• both
    13 years ago

Love the kitchen. We are redoing our kitchen in a small Chicago kitchen and also moved the fridge to a less than optimal spot but every bit of space is fought for. I love all the windows!!! They make everything so beautiful.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a couple more pictures. First is of the cabinet above the fridge. We made it tray storage on the top because we use a lot of trays to dine outside in the summer. I have a flip up panel below the tray storage area that I use to keep my wok and a few other things. This is sort of a dummy panel in case I ever get a taller fridge.

The pantry cabinet is in the hallway between my kitchen & dining room. I used a narrow Ikea cabinet and then customized the remaining space to hold the Swiffer, brooms etc. In order to get this to work we had to knock the walls in this tiny space. It was a ton of work just to gain 4" but the pantry area now functions beautifully.

A few have asked by cabinet color...it's a custom lacquer match to my the trim color in the rest of my house. The trim color was custom mix I did many years ago. It took several tries to get the lacquer to match but it was worth it. My window trim is painted with the oil trim paint and it matches my cabinet perfectly.

newbie--I am not actually in Chicagoland...I'm in north central Indiana so I'm not sure it would help. The flooring integrated perfectly..you can't tell at all. We had the dining room refinished so the colors match.

Theanimala--yes your pulls were my inspiration. Thank you so much!

I will get the paint color formula and post it later this week.

Again, thank you everyone for the kudos. For all of you still in the remodel process, don't despair. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I thought it would never end, especially since it was mostly a DIY project, but in the end it was well worth the time and struggle. Hang in there!

• eks6426
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few people have wondered about the granite I liked at first. It was called November Sky...it's a lot like Saturnia. There were wonderful swirls of silver mica flecks and it had a lot of depth. It was way over budget and I struggled with lots of "how to pay for the granite I live" thoughts. I finally decided the darker granite was too much of a contrast to my vision and also too expensive so I went granite shopping again and found the Golden Antique that I bought. In the end, I love my granite and I am so glad I kept looking. Bonus--it was 1/3 of the price of the November Sky too.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I try to stay away from the kitchens forum because of posts like this. I love your kitchen so much it makes me want to cry. I love that it's beautiful AND hugely functional. I love those pendants. I love the cabinets, I love the windows and the granite. I love it all and now I want to puke because now I don't love my kitchen at all.

Wonderful job!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I'm stunned by all the great storage ideas! Eks, I'll be studying your kitchen for a long time to see how I can incorporate many of your ideas into my kitchen (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)). Like many others, I love your window shelves, bling pendants, storage cabs, granite, paint, floor, prep sink. I guess I should just say I love everything about your kitchen! :) Oh! and thank you so much for including your floor plan!