SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Maecolo (& others)compromise on range function for design feature

11 years ago

Marcolo--

I've been following your remodel saga and see that you have purchased a range I am also contemplating--the Aga Legacy. Closed burners with just the one larger burner in the middle. A choice that for us is predicated more on the appearance of the range than the features of its cooktop.

I'm just curious as how you finally reached the conclusion this range would meet your needs when earlier on, perhaps a year ago, you were kind of saying disparaging things about the idea of closed burners and seemed to be more in favor of the larger, open burners that so many people advocate for on these forums.

As I was reading the thread about the O & M ranges today, I can across this you said about a year ago, "Picture a big, big coat button, with the flames coming out only along the outer edge. In order to get a lot of BTUs, you just make the button really big. Obviously the bigger the button, the further the flames get pushed out from the center. My 15K burner can only run on 'power boil,' which is the full 15K, when I have a lobster pot on it. Otherwise, even with a really big pan, the flames overshoot to the side. Obviously they seem helpful if you like to squirt ketchup on your range and then clean it up while cooking. In reality, they tend to bake food onto the range top."

I am not criticizing; I am just curious about the process you went through where you seem to have compromised on what might perhaps make the best cooking machine versus what can cook and look interesting at the same time but perhaps not provide the max cooking performance. I am in that process right now and would appreciate some insights. And, currently I probably have the look of the type of kitchen you are aiming at ending up with--1920s to 1930s. I am just doing a range and countertop re-do.

Thanks much.

Comments (20)