SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cambriahouse_gw

Kitchen ceiling

cambriahouse
10 years ago

My son and I are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We have installed the radiant heat floor (PEX) and are about to start building the maple cabinets. There will be a diagonal ceramic tile backsplash above the countertops.

I am looking for ceiling ideas. There is currently the drywall on the ceiling with a thin layer of plaster over it (house was built 1959/1960). I hate looking at a plain smooth ceiling.

My first choice would be a tin-ceiling look. We are trying to keep costs down somewhat. Nail-up tin ceiling panels are pretty expensive on the net at about $4-5 per square foot. We need about 250 sq ft. I have looked at the Armstrong tiles (12 x 12) that look like tin tiles and you can paint them the color you want. They run about $1.75 sq ft. Has anyone used these tiles? Reviews on the net have been mixed, with most complaints centering on the tiles lack of consistant size. I would glue them up as I don't want to add furring strips and lower the ceiling further.

If I don't use the Armstrong tiles, then it would be between plastic "tin" panels and real steel tin panels. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

Comments (10)