SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

How do you pronounce 'cabinet'?

breezygirl
12 years ago

So I'm sitting down for a water break and to rest my feet before my final few present wrappings and one final kitchen cleanup before bed, when I see a TV commercial for a cabinet spice organizer. Goes in an upper and rotates around. I like my new little labeled spice tins in my drawer much better.

Anywho, the narrator repeatedly pronounced "cabinet" as cab-i-net. Three separate syllables. I pronounce the word as two, as in cab-net. No letter i. Maybe this is the kitchen version of the word "nuclear". Either you wrongly say nu-cu-lar or, like me, say nu-cle-ar. See, I'm on the right side of THAT one at least. ;)

Is it a regional thing? I'm in the PNW. Maybe that explains why I correctly know how to prounce nuclear, what with Hanford nearby.

How do you pronounce the word cabinet?

And Merry Christmas to those of us that celebrate the holiday! NORAD tells me that Santa is already on his way back to the North Pole for a much needed rest.

Comments (71)

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grew up in southern cal, have lived in DC area since 76.....have never heard anyone pronounce it with 3 syllables....always cab-net.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

I grew up in northern Ohio but have been in Texas for 30 years (still no twang) and pronounce it with two and a half syllables, barely letting the 'i' in there. But Linelle has me wondering, how does everyone else pronounce cupboard - 'cup-board', or 'cubbord'? I use the latter and don't recall ever hearing anyone pronounce it with the 'p' enunciated.

• Related Discussions

Bhut Jolokia - How Do You Pronounce It?

Q

Comments (12)
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give my input. In central Mississippi, we have a grocery store chain called Krogers. They sell a brand of sauce called Dave's Insanity Sauce, and one of the flavors was ghost pepper. On the list of ingredients, the first one was the Naga Jolokia pepper. The label also included a warning section for those with heart or respiratory conditions, and it also lists the hot sauce as a great industrial cleaner.
    ...See More

How do you pronounce Ailsa?

Q

Comments (10)
    Tom. Not sure it's any secret, just a schedule which works for me in my area (around 40* latitude at 8300' elevation). I start seeds indoors at the end of January (coming up in a week or so). Usually with temp controlled bottom heat. And they grow under lights for 6-8 weeks. Then I transplant them to a greenhouse where they are mover further apart, and grow under natural light, but with some heat control, for another 6-8 weeks. Until they are roughly wood pencil diameter. Sometimes bigger, depends upon the weather outside as to when they move to the garden. The tops are trimmed back when they move to the garden. They grow outside, with irrigation when needed, for about 4-5 months or so, depending again on the weather. I try to harvest them before temps fall below 28F. If they are out in colder temps than that it does reduce their storage (outer shell or two will be frost damaged). Often I am harvesting them before the tops die back. I cure them under cover, in a barn (and a few times inside the house, until the tops are dried. Then they get stored in mesh bags in a makeshift root cellar. Depending upon the growing season this usually yeilds bulbs of 4-6" or so in diameter weighing in the 3-5# range. Of course some years are better than others. Last year was a poor one; late spring, early fall, and a surprise 20F night that was supposed to up at 30F, so I am seeing some onions come out of storage where the outer layer or two needs to be discarded. But on better years, the onions remain in good shape until April to May.
    ...See More

How do you pronounce "peony"?

Q

Comments (13)
    Sue, I assume you're talking about a fig tree. There are some pretty cold-hardy varieties available; in addition to Hardy Chicago, there's Brown Turkey. The unnamed variety in my zone 7 yard (grown from a cutting from a friend's grandfather's tree that came across the ocean with him) did fine until our last two colder-than-usual winters. It's coming back from the roots, but probably won't have time to produce a crop this year. It might have been fine if I'd wrapped it, but I'm not one to coddle my plants. For sheer lushness, it's hard to beat a peony. A grower in our state has a lovely site: www.peonysenvy.com There's also a lot of cultural information there. I've visited her farm in the woods of north Jersey and it was just delightful.
    ...See More

how do you pronounce adenium?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have heard both pronunciations used on You Tube videos.. Use whichever one comes more naturally to you, I say.
    ...See More
  • zeebee
    12 years ago

Native of northeast Ohio. Two and a half syllables: "cab-bn-net". And "cubberd" for cupboard.

• trailgirl
    12 years ago

I grew up and live in northern California, my DH grew up in southern California. We both say caB net.

• xc60
    12 years ago

Here in Aberta I hear people say cab-in-et and cab-i-net but never cab-net.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

When in doubt, check a dictionary. I don't think you'll find any that indicate 2 syllables...

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

Raised in western NY... currently near Annapolis, MD... went to college in Springfield, MO...... and I'm not sure I've even heard someone say "cab-i-net." It's a 2 syllable word for me - perhaps occasionally you might hear a slight hesitation between the 2 syllables.

Please, oh, please don't get me started on "warsh" etc. I get chills when I hear the "r" added in... and when the "h" is dropped out of "human." Literally chills.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Cab-net. But hey we call water "wudder" in Baltimore too

• lee676
    12 years ago

Never heard anything but 3 syllables from anyone from the US, UK, or Canada.

The only kitchen-related thing I've heard pronounced differently was from my Canadian mom who pronounces "disposal" funny, like dis-POH-ZAHL, emphasis on both the 2nd and 3rd syllables. Also, you don't "wash" the dishes, you "wash up" the dishes. Using "washing-up liquid".

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Reminds me of the time I asked for some caramel on my ice cream. The conversation went like this:

me: I'll take some caramel.
    him: What?
    me: Caramel please
    him: excuse me?
    me: Caramel
    him: Oh, I've never heard it pronounced that way before
    me: How do you say it?
    him: Kar'mul (heavy emphasis on the first syllable)
    me: Huh. (I pronounce it kara-mel, silly me)

• sail_away
    12 years ago

Breezy, If it's any consolation, I, too, pride myself on pronunciation, grammar, and word usage---but here in the lovely PNW I say it with only two syllables. My first thought when I saw the subject line was "uh-oh," and, sure enough, I've apparently been saying it wrong all along.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I'm from Southern California. We hear all kinds of things here, where people from everywhere else come to stay. Everyone I know has three syllables, but they're not even weight. Hard to write without IPA alphabet, but something like CAB'n'it. I've never heard it has two closed syllables like cab-net.

CARMul.

Definitely cubberd.

Mitten and kitten, also water, with a flap t (the way it's generally pronounced in the middle), rather than a glottal stop.

DisposAll was one of the original brands of disposers and is still a GE trademark. Many people say it that way (Dispose All) the way they say Frigidaire for refrigerator or Hoover for vacuum. It's not an alternate pronunciation of "disposal". :) "Washing up" with "washing up liquid" is what you do in England. The Canadian language seems to be kind of half British, half American.

PUMPkin, but my mother says punkn.

CALC-ya-Later

FWAHyay, but I think when I was a child I heard more FOYyay.

Pronounce the "h"? What's that? (Actually, I do know, some people say the "wh" as a voiceless "w", but I hear it so infrequently that it sounds funny.)

And of course it's a PAHtio. The word is Spanish. But I say PATeeyo with a flap t, but the "a" as in "pat".

LWO, adjusting to your customers isn't mocking. If you weren't doing it subconsciously, it would be a good technique to do on purpose. Adapting your accent means making your customers feel comfortable with you. That you're on their side. Literally, speaking their language. Since you're in a position of knowledge and authority, it means you're not talking down to them. Especially, where a broader accent might be taken as less cosmopolitan, and a media normalized accent might be taken as outlander, this is especially true.

Breezy, this is a fun thread. :) Thanks! You're fine. Good diction is about saying the word distinctly so that you can be understood, whatever your accent is. That is, it's not about how you pronounce it, but whether people can hear the way you pronounce it clearly.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    12 years ago

Yea. I'm from RI originally and we have many interesting ways of pronouncing many words.

I think I was in my early teens before I realized my friend Tara was not, infact, named Terror.

We add rs and take them away in equal measure.

I have heard Cabinet pronounced as two syllables. I, on the other hand, use three. ka - bin - et.

Additionally, in RI cabinet is what most people would think of as a milkshake. And a milkshake is really milk with flavoring in it. Or at least that was true in the 80s. RI is not so provincial that it is entirely immune from national television - but you'd be surprised. To be safe - one should always ask for a frappe if that's what you're after.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I grew up in Washington and now live in California (Bay Area), and I say cab-i-net, but depending on the situation and context the "i" can get short to the point of nonexistince, along the lines of what davidro said.

I don't pronounce the H in what, where, why. I didn't know I was supposed to until a choir director pointed it out. Looked in Websters and what do you know! But why it is spelled WH instead of HW?

I grew up with CARmul, but have mostly switched to CARE-uh-mel as an adult, when I realized I was out of step with everybody else.

There are some New England things that I find interesting, like when Norm Abrams builds something with draws (drawers, which I pronounce like drores, with not quite two distinct syllables, but it does have an R). Or listening to a recording of JFK when he says "Idee-ers" (ideas).

Nu-cle-ar
    "Kitten" and "mitten"? definitely have t's
    Pump-kin, although if I'm using for a nickname (kid or cat), I say pun-k'n.
    Cal-Cu-Lator

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

cab-i-net, but you hardly hear the i.

How about coupon? For me, it's always been "coo-pon", ("coo" like a dove would say). "Cyoo-pon" ("cyoo" like a cue ball) makes me grimace. Although trying to prove my point once, I looked it up and apparently either way is correct.

My MIL and SIL say "eye-talian" for Italian, like "do you have any eye-talian dressing?" I say, "Where's that from, eye-taly?" They also say thee-ATE-er instead of theater. It kind of cracks me up, since we all grew up in the Chicago area and I never heard anyone pronounce it that way except as a joke until I met them.

We have very Midwestern accents, which to us of course sound like no accent at all, just neutral. Once on vacation in the south, some kids overheard us talking and said "you sound like people on TV!" (although they said "teeee veeee".) We were utterly baffled and thought, please god, not like we're people on Jerry Springer, right? Later we met their parents, who told us, "You sound like people on the news!" Again, we were baffled, until they said, "You know, the people who SAY the news!" Apparently they thought we talk like newscasters. I still haven't figured out if that was a compliment, but it's better than being like the guests on Jerry Springer, right?

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Chicagoans reminded me of when I was teaching a computer class to a bunch of drama majors back in my college days. They loved my "accent", which according to them was mid-Western or "neutral". They said that part of their acting training was to learn to mimic a mid-Western accent as a neutral base. They also told me that all the national news casters use a mid-Western accent (don't know if that's by design or not).

I've never lived in the mid-West. And in fact was not even born in the US (it was an English-speaking country though).

Now just as an odd polar opposite, a group that I voice-chat with in a video game (all Americans, mostly West Coast where I live, too) recently told me that I had a slight interesting accent and they were wondering where I was from. Go figure. Kara-mel! Kara-mel! That sticky brown stuff right there!

• lee676
    12 years ago

> "Washing up" with "washing up liquid" is what you do in England. The Canadian language seems to be kind of half British, half American.

Definitely closer to British in written form - Canadians use the same spellings as Brits do for words like colour, practise, or programme; and Christmas is on 25/12/11, not 12/25/11. But when spoken the inflection is closer to American, though still recognisably different. And at least in Quebec where I've spent most of my time there, there's all sorts of odd expressions that result from direct translations of French phrases (you don't turn off the light, you "close the light"). Still, I thought "washing-up liquid" was just an informal way of referring to hand dishwashing detergent (or whatever it's officially called) so it threw me off seeing it actually called that right on the label:

> They said that part of their acting training was to learn to mimic a mid-Western accent as a neutral base. They also told me that all the national news casters use a mid-Western accent

It used to be the conventional wisdom that national American newscasters had to have a midwestern accent, but I think by now that's been disproven. Peter Jennings became an American news anchor despite his Canadian accent, and Martin Bashir's obviously British inflection didn't stop him from becoming a major US newscaster.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Cab-i-net...three syllables, at least over here in eastern Washington. Much like Cab-er-net, as in wine :)

LWO- Finally, someone who knows what a chifferobe is! Up here, everyone says armoire, but chifferobe is a better desciption for my piece, from the 1940s.

• sochi
    12 years ago

I would like to think that I use three syllables, but I really seem to say CAB-NET. The middle third syllabe is almost there, could be there, but in regular conversation I'm pretty sure it only sounds like two syllables. (I'm Cdn)

Agree with lee676, the most apparent differences between American and Canadian english can be found in written form - colour, centre, neighbour, etc. But it is pretty simple to identify someone as an American through accent though. Foyer is an obvious one - I pronounce it FOY-YEI, but I think Americans typically say Foy-er.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Well, a chifferobe is technically a combination between a chiffonier and a wardrobe (drawers on bottom, hanging space on top) and an armoire is technically a cabinet with shelves behind doors. Since we have new, different kinds of furniture, like TV cabinets made to look like armoires or chifferobes, I don't think it matters much. Generally, the literature says "armoire" but that might be because it's fewer keystrokes, or sounds more Frenchified, for those who think that Frencher is classier. :)

Actually, drawers in a chiffonier are something "new" in the mid-19th century. Originally, it was a low piece of furniture which was either open shelves, or covered by a grating, hence "chiffon", meaning transparent.

I prompted my brother to say "cabinet" without saying the word myself. He's never lived anywhere by So. Cal. What he said was CAB-in-et. I'm thinking his pronunciation might be influenced by reading, because most people around here pronounce the final syllable as "it" (as in mitt) rather than "et" (as in "met").

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

When I was younger I used to think that KARMul was the cellophane-wrapped candy cubes and Care-a-mel was the gooey brown sauce you put on ice cream.

Until a few years ago I thought my Dad was the only one who called it a chifferobe instead of wardrobe.

• plllog
    12 years ago

A Canadian friend told me that about half the words which differ have the British spelling and half have the U.S. spelling. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but it makes sense because of the cultural pressures from both places. :)

Ghostly, you're right! KARMul is the candy! And, in fact, it's so messed up in my head that I would call the color CARE-a-mel, as CARE-a-mel walls would look nice with the granite, except in combining form, where I'd say a KARMul-colored pony. I don't often talk about the sauce, but what sounds right to me is to ask "Chocolate or CARE-a-mel?", but to offer "ice cream with KARMul sauce." I would never say "CARE-a-mel sauce". But if you asked me the flavor of the gooey brown stuff, I'd say "CARE-a-mel". It's definitely the construct state, which isn't usually a rule in English!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

but what about grosheries or groceries?

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I bet that "cab-net/nit" is (maybe was) a shortening of the word, so "cab'net." In the Oz books, written in the early 1900s, the little girl heroines always said "prob'ly." I immediately copied that because who could be cooler than Dorothy and Ozma? I did know, though, that the whole word was "probably."

About those drawers? At our house, "drawers" also referred to one's underpants, although sometimes it could refer to non-under pants. I was fairly old before I figured out that that wasn't a common usage in So. CA.

• cindaintx
    12 years ago

Suzannesl, my father always uses "drawers" to refer to underpants. One day when I was finalizing my kitchen layout I decided i liked my parents' cabinets (cab'n'ets, FWIW) with drawers instead of pullouts, so I called home to check on width and depth. Mom didn't answer so I told Dad " I just want to ask Mom how big her drawers are". He had a lot of fun with that....

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

LOL plllog, so it's decided, KARmul is a candy but CARE-a-mel is a color. I think I can live with that.

• momo7
    12 years ago

Cab-i-net - when I say it but I call them cu-berds usually, does that make me bad? I'm Canadian with an English background. I grew up in Quebec so that probably adds a certain je ne sais quoi to my language.

I was very embarrased to find out as a teenager that not everybody "lays the table" or wears a dressing gown. I have been known to say please close the lights. BUT who says De-troy-it? Besides my DH and my MIL.

Fun thread.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Draw-ers are things you draw, i.e., pull. You draw the enclosed cabinet shelves toward you. You draw on your underpants. Makes sense. :) Cindaintx, I can just imagine. ;)

Momo, if you want to get really picky technical about nothing, a "bathrobe" is what you put on your altogether right out of the tub, and may be terry cloth so you don't even have to dry off first. A dressing gown is what one might have worn over one's chemise and petticoats to entertain ones besties while setting one's patches and having one's hair done (not to be confused with a powdering gown which resembled the capes still in use at salons for keeping the gunk off one's clothes)--it's more of an around the house kind of notion, and with drawers on (not that they had any such garment back when they were first wearing dressing gowns). :)

Lots of family members from deeTROIT, but I never heard De-troy-it. :)

GRO-sir-eez, or sometimes GRO-sreez when said fast.

• sochi
    12 years ago

What all people don't lay the table? I know lots of people who say De-Troy-it.

• leela4
    12 years ago

What about orange? I've had a running "argument" with DH and even both daughters about that one for years. I grew up in PA with southern parents but have lived in the PNW for 30 years. DH grew up in PNW and says "or" for the first part of that word. I say "ar-enge". My contention is that the knock-knock joke about bananas would never work if one said "or-ange".

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i live in central NJ. i am from central NJ, although i went to school and worked in NY. i don't have what most consider a joisy accent -since that horrible sound is actually a NEW YAWRK (brooklyn) accent. i have had many people ask if i am canadian (um, yeah. no.)

anyway, cab-in-et.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Coming to you from where the oranges grow: OR-inge

• pamelas_kitchen
    12 years ago

Well I did look it up in the dictionary--Merriam-Webster Unabridged Collegiate, to be precise and much to my amazement, the two-syllable pronunciation is the first one listed! I was so sure the "correct," or at least preferred would be the three-syllable version that I've been saying my whole life. But no, two syllables is first. I am shocked!

• leela4
    12 years ago

plllog- You must be in CA-how do people say it in Florida? (I ask because I think ar-enge must be an eastern thing, but maybe not).

• annettacm
    12 years ago

In Ohio... and I say "CAB-net". Two syllables.

• bumble_doodle
    12 years ago

In CT it's three syllables: cab-i-net

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

I say it with three syllables but it appears that I place different emphasis on how I say it than most here have indicated. I seem to pronounce it (though after saying it so many times to see for myself, I wonder!) as ca-bi-net with very little emphasis on the middle syllable but I definitely pronounce the "i" ever so slightly.

I was born and raised in MD but my parents both had noticeable accents of their own - my father was from OH and my mom has a Boston accent. I grew up in a DC suburb where there were mostly transplants from other areas of the country, so I didn't have that Bal'mer twang found in many areas of MD. I don't feel that I have a very discernible "accent" - in fact, dh is from the San Francisco area and for the most part, I don't think you would be able to tell from the way that either of us speak that we grew up on opposite sides of the country.

• idrive65
    12 years ago

We could follow Candice Olson's lead and say cabinetry (which sounds like "cabinechree" to me.)

I say cabinet with three syllables and orange with just one (ornge)! Those pullout things are drawers, not draws, and people cut coop-ons not Q-pons.

I also tend to drop middle and ending "t" sounds so mitten and kitten sound like mi'en and ki'en, and a catcher uses a mi'. "Party hearty" sounds like pardy hardy. Yet I cringe whenever HGTVers natter on about how they need a large living area for "entertaineen".

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Oh my....these are tough... I live in the Boston area but did not grow up here....more southern CT and Westchester county, NY. In Boston there a words that inexplicably have r's at the end - like "idear" for "idea" or there are no r's at all - like "ah Cah" for "our car". Talk about a learning curve!

1. Cabinet - has 3 syllables - cab-i-net; but like some of the others here it is usually called a cupboard ...sounding a but more like "cubberd". FYI: In some parts of New England a "cabinet" is also a milkshake!

2. Drawers are both pulled out of a bureau, desk, etc and also can be worn (underwear).... or there are "droopy drawers" which is what you get when you wear sagging pants that let the underwear show (picture what some teenage boys wear)...I think of "Draw" as a verb.

3. And Lawjedi- Oh boy...Do I agree with you on "human" with the "h" dropped- I get apoplectic when I hear it...!

BP

• lolauren
    12 years ago

"Cab-i-net...three syllables, at least over here in eastern Washington. Much like Cab-er-net, as in wine :) "

In my part of eastern Washington, we only use two syllables. ;) Maybe that is because I grew up in Oregon... or maybe it's because I'm the closest one to Hanford. Eek!

Cab-net! :)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I grew up in Southern NJ but then lived in central NJ when I went to college and for a few years thereafter. Then I moved to Northern NJ for a job and have lived now in Northern NJ for more years(think for 20 years) than I have ever lived anywhere. I have owned my home now for 14 years which is the longest I lived in any area in my life.

OK, when I moved to central NJ, I was teased that I had an accent and when I moved to Northern NJ, I was teased that I had a southern/Philadelphia accent. When I got down to Southern NJ where my family lives, they now have slight accents to my ear since I am used to how everyone sounds near me.

I pronounce cabinet with three syllables but then again I say home funny I am told since southern NJ sounds like Philadelphia. :)

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

Lynn, when I was in college in NYC, a couple of my friends (from NY and CT) used to always tease me about the way I say "home." I can't hear it and they would say back to me the way they heard me pronouncing it. But when I'd then say it out loud, it didn't sound the same way to me. That was the only word that anyone every commented about though once someone told me I had a Southern accent (one of my NYer college friends at the beginning of school), but I told them they had obviously NEVER been to the South if they thought my "accent" was Southern!

While I honestly don't think I have a distinctly regional accent (see my post above), I know that I do talk slowly. People used to say that to me all the time. I've always been a laid back kind of person so I guess it fits my personality. I don't really notice it much unless I hear myself on tape - just before the holidays I was interviewed on the news one day and it was not an easy thing to watch! I did talk noticeably s.l.o.w.l.y!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Very interesting thread especially considering the mix of accents & regional variation we have in our family (FL, NC, & NY), so I did some research:

From Dictionary.com:
    cab-i-net
    [kab-uh-nit]
    I think it really comes down to how fast you say the word--the faster you say it, the less you hear the 'i' & it becomes 2 syllables vs. 3. The slower you say it the more pronounced the 'i' becomes and you end up with all 3 syllables.)

hu-man
    [hyoo-muhn or, often, yoo‐]
    I always hated when the 'h' is dropped. Had a highschool teacher for a year who dropped the 'h' & it made me nuts! I'm a fan of phonics, the 'h' is there for a reason-let's pronounce it.

car-a-mel
    [kar-uh-muhl, -mel, kahr-muhl]
    Pronunciation always seemed regional to me like pee-can vs pe-cahn. But using the rules of phonics, I have to hedge on the side of car-a-mel.

I-tal-ian
    [ih-tal-yuhn]
    Being 1/2 Italian, I can definitely say it's not pronounced eye-tal-yan

or-ange
    [awr-inj, or-inj]
    Seems like I use the first pronunciation for the color & the second for the fruit--go figure!

wash
    [wosh, wawsh]
    Definitely no 'r' in either pronunciation or the spelling

Some other interesting facts on the 'English English' language which American English is based on:

-"Many varieties undergo h dropping, making harm and arm homophones. This is a feature of working-class accents across most of England, but was traditionally stigmatised (a fact the comedy musical My Fair Lady was quick to exploit) but less so now.[12] This was geographically widespread, but the linguist A.C. Gibson stated that it did not extend to the far north, nor to East Anglia, Essex, Wiltshire or Somerset.[13] In the past, working-class people were often unsure where an h ought to be pronounced, and, when attempting to speak "properly", would often preface any word that began with a vowel with an h (e.g. "henormous" instead of enormous, "hicicles" instead of icicles); this was referred to as the "hypercorrect h" in the Survey of English Dialects, and is also referenced in literature (e.g. the policeman in Danny the Champion of the World)." Source: Wikipedia

-"A glottal stop for intervocalic /t/ is now common amongst younger speakers across the country; it was originally confined to some areas of the south-east and East Anglia." Source:Wikipedia. (i.e. the kitten, mitten references: pronounced as ki'en, mi'en)

-"The distinction between /w/ and /hw/ in wine and whine is lost in most varieties, "wh" being pronounced consistently as /w/." Source: Wikipedia

-"Most versions of this dialect have non-rhotic pronunciation, meaning that [r] is not pronounced in syllable coda position. Nonrhoticism is also found elsewhere in the English speaking world, including in Australian English, New Zealand English, and South African English, as well as most nonnative varieties spoken throughout the Commonwealth of Nations.[10] Rhotic accents exist in the West Country, parts of Lancashire, the far north of England and in the town of Corby, both of which have a large Scottish influence on their speech." Source: Wikipedia. (i.e. Norm Abrams reference on the word 'drawers': draw-ers vs draws).

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I am from the PNW and say cabinet with three syllables. Although I agree with others' point that when speaking quickly that "i" goes by awfully fast.

New word question:

My mom took a college linguistics class once where the teacher was from back East and marked everyone's papers wrong for phonetically spelling "idea" as eye-dee-ah. He thought it should be eye-dee-er.

• plllog
    12 years ago

ROTFL!! Are you sure that wasn't a student TA grading the papers? The instructor wasn't qualified if he did that himself...

• plllog
    12 years ago

Except... If the instructor said "eye-DEE-er" aloud and asked them to write it in phonetic transcription, and the students wrote down "eye-DEE-ah", they would be wrong. The point would have been to listen to what he said, not the way they'd pronounce it.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

hey breezy -

how are the kittens doing - we need pics! :)

• ca_mom
    12 years ago

Nor-cal/bay area here. Cab-i-net. I've said that word a lot in the past year.

BalTra: my dh from NY makes fun of my "wh" pronunciation daily.

• sail_away
    12 years ago

I initially said I pronounce cabinet with two syllables. But now? Three. Thanks for the education.

• User
    12 years ago

Blended sound:

cabehnet