SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quantumkitten

Any feedback on Caesarstone Concrete?

quantumkitten
16 years ago

I'm wondering whether anyone here has used or knows anything about Caesarstone in the Concrete color. It's the current frontrunner for my new countertops, but I'm concerned about durability. It was recently posted here that the lower numbered colors were made from finer particles of quartz, and were therefore softer and more prone to damage. That comment was in reference to Lagos Blue, which is #4350. The Concrete number is even lower (2003), and I'm curious as to how much of an issue this may become. I live alone and am fairly careful in the kitchen, but I do a great deal of cooking.

Also, if you do have this color, did you get it in a honed or a polished finish? Would the honed be a nightmare to keep looking nice? I know there's a warning on the Caesarstone website that honed finishes require more maintenance.

Comments (41)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

I have no experience with Concrete pattern, but that may have been one of my posts about the numbers associated with pattern/color of Caesarstone. I do believe the problem is with a honed surface only.

I think short of a blow torch at close range (which we did with negative results after 20 seconds), your can't damage it. We have #9050 Carmel in kitchen, #3141 Eggshell in baths. Granted we haven't had it long (June 2007) but there's nary a scratch or anything else wrong. After reading your post, I tried again to scratch the surface of a #3141 sample with X-acto knife and a metal file and couldn't.

Get some samples of your color choice(s) from any dealer (the 5" square ones are free, but I paid $10 each for several 10" x 10" ones for testing purposes). Put the stuff through all the paces that might occur in your situation.

I chose Caesarstone because:
    Is non-porous
    Is care free
    It seams and laminates beautifully (fab dependent, perhaps?)
    Is not as cold to touch as granite
    Is not as hard looking as granite
    In the polished finish, is not quite as glaring/brilliant as granite

Look under your zip code at CaesarstoneUS.com "How to Buy" for dealers that have your particular choice pattern on display in an actual setup (be it kitchen, vanity, etc.)

• quantumkitten
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you; that's very reassuring. My contractor left me a sample of the honed Concrete Caesarstone, but I haven't yet gone at it to see what damage I can do. I'd really love to use honed, because I think the contrast with my high gloss cabinets would be nice, but if it will be more prone to damage than a polished finish, I'll have to rethink. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample of the polished version, so I can't do a side-by-side test of their comparative durabilities.

• Related Discussions

Feedback on acid-washed or polished concrete/cement floors

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes - we have an acid washed concrete floor in the kitchen. (We didn't mean to, when we ripped up the tile to refinish the terrazzo, we learned that the terrazzo did not extend to the kitchen). I think it looks really cool, however, because ours was under tile and the guys did such a crummy job, there are lots of dings and chips in it. And, you can see the scored criss crosses from the old tile. Even with those problems, if we were going for a different look in our kitchen, I would probably like it. However, it just doesn't go at all, so we are going to put something over it, just have to figure out what. Not much help for you, sorry - but did want you to know that I do think it turned out very cool looking, and I think ours would look good in a kitchen or house that had either an older european country style going on, or a more modern industrial loft look.
    ...See More

Any feedback on Leather Silestone?

Q

Comments (13)
    Like I said, the material itself is stain free. You aren't going to ever put anything on it that will actually sink into the pores of the countertop. However, the texture itself will trap dirt and oils. The medium to dark finishes show this the least. The light and dark finishes show this the most. THe light shows the dirt, the dark shows the oils. To me, it's a functionality issue. I don't want a countertop that traps dirt---even if it doesn't show. FOr functionality's sake, I want a countertop that shows when it's dirty, and is easy to get to a clean state when it gets dirty. Honed stone of any variety doesn't fit that bill. If I wanted a matte surface for a countertop, I'd pick good old laminate. It fits the bill of an easy cleanup and good looking without the sanitary issues.
    ...See More

Please share your experiences with caesarstone raw concrete?

Q

Comments (3)
    would be interested in if anyone installed raw concrete and their experiences with it.
    ...See More

Caesarstone fresh concrete

Q

Comments (5)
    This product chips terribly: within the first month of having it, chips along the inside rim of the sink, and on the edge in front of the dishwasher, were visible. It’s beautiful, but clearly not designed for regular use. I can’t imagine what it’s going to look like (or how rough it will feel) several years from now, what with how chipped it is after only a year. We wash pans, and load the dishwasher just as we always have —- it’s defective.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I'm glad you posted this because I'm looking at regular, not honed, Lagos blue as a contender for my counters and I was second guessing myself.

Statuary marble was my first choice but I chickened out, not sure if I can live with the patina.

• logic
    16 years ago

The problem that I had with the sample of Lagos Blue...regular...not honedÂÂwas that it nicked easily by dropping a butter knife handle on it...and the nicks show white....so they are very noticeable. I would imagine that they would be equally noticeable with Concrete CS as they will also show white against the gray.

The same problem occurs with Misty CarraraÂhowever, as MC is white, they are harder to see because it is white against whiteÂÂbut nonetheless can be seen when the light hits it on an angle. My understanding is that repair of such is not exactly easyÂor guaranteed.

That said, I donÂt think honed makes a differenceÂas the nick occurs because of the softnessÂ..not because of the surface finish.
    It is a pricey productÂtherefore its best to drop all sorts of common kitchen items on itÂincluding cans, etcÂto see if you can live with the result. Also, find out what would be involved in nick repairÂ.costÂand would the repair be noticeable.

BTWÂÂwe went with soapstone, which has been greatÂalso chips and dingsÂbut repair is DIYÂ.and the minor irregularity that may result is part of the patina of the natural stoneÂ..whereas with ES, one does not usually expect to deal with "patina".

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

This is also my front runner for countertop choice.

I just took a can of chicken broth and went to town on my Caesarstone Concrete (not honed) sample. Here's the results. The top surface seemed pretty unaffected - no markings unlike the edge.

{{!gwi}}

I bashed the heck out of the the edge and you can see chipping - only on the angled edge bit and it isn't white but a lighter grey. Personally, I think for the most part my counter is unlikely to receive the kind of bashing I just did as a test - maybe the odd can of something falling out of a cabinet in which case the countertop surface I think would be untouched unless it hit the edge.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Any other countertop, including granite ones and soapstone, would chip if you bash it on edge with soup can, hammer, or castiron skillet. A hammer at a decent bash did not damage my Caesarstone surface during my tests.

Funny, isn't it that damage on soapstone or stainless steel is called patina. It's still damage...just in vogue damage.

• barb59
    16 years ago

I have honed jerusalem sand. it has been installed for 18 months. i pay absolutely no attention to any special treatment (except for using a trivit for hot pots) and I love it. No stains, chips, or anything...

• mls99
    16 years ago

teedup1, you make me giggle and try things like staining my samples (white zodiaq stains more than white caesarstone), putting hot pots on them, and now I'm going to hit them with a can... It makes sense but I would never have thought to do this without your comments.

• logic
    16 years ago

All countertop materials can be damaged. It is an individual decision to live with the damage...or have it repaired.

Minor damage on many surfaces can be a DIY project....on soapstone (sanding, oilingÂ..or even a bit of color toned silicone filler)...and granite (crazy glue in chips or pits...poultices for stains...butcher block (sanding, oiling) etc...

However, damage to the engineered stones, such as CS, Silestone, Zodiaq, etc., is no where near as easy to repair...IF it can be repaired...and often the cost is high.

That said, it boils down to ones preference...imperfections in natural materials are part of the deal...that is why they are called patina....same with hardwood flooring....as those materials by nature will develop imperfections with use.

That is why minor damage to natural materials tends to just blend in with the natural imperfections....

Minor damage to manmade materials tends to just stand outÂ..and if one is not the type to ignore such damage if it should occur, then they would be wise to find out the repair facts up frontÂ..especially cost and IF it can be repairedÂ.in order to avoid living to regret the decision.

BTWÂI believe CS Jerusalem Sand has a higher mohs (hardness) rating than the three others discussed aboveÂ

• quantumkitten
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the information. Much to think about. The chances of me chipping the countertop are probably fairly small. If it were to happen, however, I know I couldn't live with it. I'm a crazy perfectionist, and any visible flaw would keep me awake at night. I guess I will need to inquire as to the cost and difficulty of repair. I do know that I want quartz, though, as I like the look better than that of natural stone, and I like the (theoretical) durability and ease of maintenance. I'd love to have real concrete, but it's more expensive and not as well suited to kitchen countertop use.

Tartanhabit and mitchdesj, what are you going to do?

• tom999
    16 years ago

Look at the international caesarstone website. You will see under the specs that the lagos blue, cement etc are about 1/2 as abrasion resistant as the larger particulate material. Lagos blue, especially in the honed finish, will be a nightmare to take care of. I know of a number of fabricators that will not even fabricate a job using this material. It is not made from quartz, but from silica dust. It is much more resin rich than std quartz and hence, much "softer".

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

Quantum, you asked what I was going to do ...

Well, we are several weeks away from having to finalize our decision (remodeling has not yet started but cabinets are being made now). Caesarstone Concrete is still my front runner and we have spent a long, long time considering countertops. I'm really not that into granite as a countertop - I did look at a quite a lot and did consider abosulte black honed but decided that that might drive me nuts with fingerprints etc on a more daily basis.

So although there may be a small risk of chips in the future, there's no other alternative I really like that much. There are beautiful materials out there such as granite and soapstone, but I just don't think they are a look I want for a countertop so in some ways, eliminating the alternatives makes this easier.

And I am super super picky too about flaws and see everything. You can imagine how much I hate the dreadful tile (see photo in above post) we inherited from the previous owners who I don't think had ever remodeled the kitchen from it's original 1930s.

Remember: it took a huge amount of bashing to cause the chips in the above photo AND the top surface of the sample DID NOT chip - only the edge.

Do keep us posted on any info and your decision.

• quantumkitten
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tartanhabit,

If all goes well, I should be templating sometime next week (cabinets are being delivered tomorrow), so I have to make up my mind pretty soon. I have the exact same aesthetic outlook as you re: this material vs. others, so I probably will end up using it. The only other contender right now is Zodiaq in Storm Grey, but I think it's too speckled for me, even though the specks vary only subtly in color from the background. I will certainly keep you posted on what I decide, and post pictures as soon as I have something to show.

It sounds like you and I have similar taste, so I look forward to seeing your new kitchen. Out of curiosity, what are you using for cabinets? And I feel your pain, as I'd been living with a none-too-pristine white laminate countertop in my pre-renovation 70s-era kitchen.

• logic
    16 years ago

quantumkitten, I assume that you have already read the exclusions in the CS warranty...if not, the link is below. However...they do not cover chips...scratches (they advise the use of a cutting board at all times); alos "thermal shock" damage from hot pans is also excluded...they advise the use of trivets...

Also, they still require a "special care consideration form" to be signed for honed surfaces...

BTW...you may want to check out "Jet Mist" granite. Someone on this forum has it (sorry, I can't remember who)...it's "look" seems to be a cross look between concrete and soapstone...but no hassle maintenance wise...it is gorgeous...it may appeal to you quite a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: CS Limited 10 Year Residential Warranty

• logic
    16 years ago

Correction...Virginia Jet Mist is the one I was thinking of...as it is usally lighter (closer to "concrete")and more serene than regular Jet mist...which is darker.

• cork2win
    16 years ago

Caesarstone also has a new color called Raven that is similar to concrete, but a little darker. I liked it a lot more and will either be using it or the Zodiaq Storm Gray.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Maybe unintentional, but a somewhat misleading interpretation of the Caesarstone warranty is implied above.

The same 10-year Caesarstone warranty applies to honed material as polished material IF "honed" is the way a particular pattern finish IS as it comes from Caesarstone (many patterns are not available honed from Caesarstone). Now, IF a FABRICATOR turns a polished Caesartone product INTO a honed finish, THAT'S when honed material is not covered.

Also, the "special care consideration" form is simply a re-iteration that a honed surface may show fingerprints and temporary pot/pan scuffs that are fixable with special daily extra care done by homeowner; a care type that is not necessary for a polished surface.

(By the way, cutting boards should be used on engineered quartz AS WELL AS on granite...not because cutting will damage stone surface, but because your KNIFE EDGE will become dull sooner!)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Caesarstone Blizzard is soooooooooo WHITE! Caesarstone Eggshell is white with an ever so slight gray cast to it when intalled.

• logic
    16 years ago

teedup 1, not to split hairs...but even CS admits that knives or sharp implements can scratch the surface...which is not the case with granite...as that will only result in dulled knives..see below:

"b. Scratches: CaesarStone is a very hard material and highly scratch resistant but not scratch proof. Scratches are not covered under this warranty and proper care should be exercised including the use of a cutting board as part of your proper care and maintenance. "

In addition, I did not indicate that CS honed by CS is not covered under warranty...I merely pointed out that they require a form to be signed acknowledging that additional maintenance is required with their honed surface.

From what I can recall (I think Tom99 can confirm this)when CS first introduced the honed version, there were a number of complaints they received about that very issue...so, they took the responsible step of making certain that people know of the maintenance issue up front.

That said...quantumkitten, what colors do you plan for the floor, walls and backsplash if any? This will help those here to come up with suggestions.

On the CS website, Raven looks like a deep charcoal gray...not black. However, I think you would need to see it in person to know for sure.

IMO...also the deep merlot of the counter stools in the photo could look great with those cabs, except the CS Ruby Reflections is more red than merlotÂ..and although red would also work really well, it looks pretty speckled.

Have you looked at the CS Mulberry Mist...its looks like a minimal speckle low key eggplant...that could also look great with those cabs...but the choice will depend on the other colors that you intend to use in the room...

• cork2win
    16 years ago

The CS Raven is definitely NOT black, it's a charcoal gray color. I also have a sample of Espresso and it's really lovely too but doesn't quite go with my cabinet color, but it might look really nice with all your gray kitchen tones.

For what it's worth, I don't think either of my samples look much like the photos on CSs website.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Logic: LOL, and U-N-C-L-E!

The "ordinary and customary kitchen cutting tools" rule remains in effect in my kitchen. (Diamond-edged power saw blades aren't allowed for cutting a sandwich or slicing that turkey on my Caesarstone countertop.)

• logic
    16 years ago

teedup1: "Diamond-edged power saw blades aren't allowed for cutting a sandwich or slicing that turkey on my Caesarstone countertop"

Point taken. :-)

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

quantum - so sorry to hear about your countertop dilema.

Those cabinets look very nice with that very countertop in the picture or is that the black you are trying to avoid? I would take a piece of cabinetry to wherever you are getting your countertops from and go through all the colors. I've seen a raven countertop and it looked charcoaly - not black and not grey - in fact there was some bluishness about it oddly enough but it was in a display with poor lighting on top of maple bases. Have you looked thoroughly through the CS website at their gallery for ideas?

Personally, I think I generally prefer the combination of darker countertop.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

ok so I'm still fearful of the lagos blue from what I'm reading above; specially for my island which will be right next to patio doors, so the natural light will enhance any chips and scratches.

It seems impossible for me to find a bullet proof countertop that isn't speckled.

• quantumkitten
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To answer logic re: the look of my kitchen: it's in an open loft-style space, and is completely open to the living area. Picture white walls and big windows and high concrete beam ceilings (also painted white). The space is fairly minimalist; lots of grey, white, chrome, and steel. I like sleek and angular and modern, and am not really into color. The one real pop of color in the living area is my red-orange (you know, that sort of Asian red) lacquered dining chairs. The new floors will be natural bamboo (I think). I want to keep the color palette very neutral, hence the preference for grey or white counters. I feel like black or deep charcoal would be a heavier look than I want. I'm picturing the kitchen area as this little steel oasis in the larger white room.

Tartanhabit, I have looked through the Caesarstone gallery; that's what made me think that Blizzard could work. The have a picture of Blizzard countertops with steel cabinets, and I like the look. Concrete is still my favorite, though, and I'll be very jealous of you if/when you have it in your kitchen. I think the Raven looks too dark, but I'll give it a chance in person. I'm going to go shopping again with one of my cabinet drawer fronts and see how the new options I'm considering look with the cabinet finish.

Mitchdesj, I hear you on the durability issue. As you know, I had the same worries. At least if I end up going with white, any damage will be much less visible. I vote for the Lagos Blue for you, though. It's such a lovely color, and it seems like the odds of it getting visibly damaged are fairly small. If the Concrete color had worked with my cabinets, I'm pretty sure I would have taken my chances with it.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm overthinking all this countertop business.

and if the lagos ends up being a mistake, I'll redo it in a few years. I'd rather not and I hate to waste money but I could afford it and need to decide mid january so I'm reassuring myself with my choice; I'll have to throw all caution to the wind; there is no granite that goes with my kitchen choice of colors and overall vision I have.

Trust me, I love granite and have had it in my last 3 kitchens and a few bathrooms, I believe it's almost bullet proof or if not, the specks hide everything.
    I'm just not feeling the granite for this next kitchen.

• logic
    16 years ago

quantumkitten...given the description of the color scheme...and the fact that you really want to stay with a neutral, I agree that white is probably the best option...and some accessorizing to pull in the Asian red would look great!;-)

The Blizzard White may or may not be harder than the Lagos Blue...or Concrete...for some reason I can no longer find the MOHS ratings on the website...

Be that as it may, white will definitely serve to disguise any damage that may occurÂ.in the event of such, as have you asked them about possibility of repairÂ. and cost?

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

Quantumkitten, what did you decide?

• quantumkitten
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ended up going with CaesarStone in Raven. The countertop hasn't been installed yet (scheduled for next week), and I'm pretty apprehensive about my choice. I was only able to see a small (about 3 or 4 inch square) sample of the color before making my decision, because I was in a bit of a time crunch. I couldn't find what I really wanted, which was a solid gray a bit deeper than Concrete. I settled for Raven, which has the right base color, but a slightly mottled finish (like Lagos Blue). I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about that. It was the only shade that was going to work for me, though (I ruled out the white idea, as it just wasn't what I was picturing for my kitchen, and nixed the Zodiaq Storm Gray for being too speckled).

Once it's installed, I'll definitely share my impressions and some pictures. Meanwhile, if anyone else here has used Raven, I'd love to hear about their experiences and/or see photos.

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

I hope you love it. I'm excited for you and hope all works out just fine. Do keep us posted.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I'm glad to see this topic resurrected; tartan, I love the Raven you picked.

the Lagos Blue is still my first choice for my kitchen, although I'll only get the color sample for my cab doors in a few weeks so I might change my mind once I have the actual custom color in hand; I keep going through the gallery slide show on the caesarstone website, they have fabulous projects there and it does help to visualize a whole counter in a kitchen instead of those small samples.

I am finding that certain kitchens are ideal candidates for the non speckled caeasarstone colors; your raven is beautiful, I keep going back to look at it.
    My floors are going to be lagos blue limestone , the raven might be a nicer contrast as a countertop, my backsplash might be staturay marble so the raven would be gorgeous with it.

I have to place my order by january 30th.

• ellendj
    15 years ago

Tartanhabit--do you have photos of the Raven kitchen? i'm considering using it too--would love to see it before i take the plunge!

• mentler
    14 years ago

I've been lurking in the earlier stages of remodel. Down to finish choices. Have to be right because this is probably the one and only kitchen remodel of my life and I can't redo it.

Lagos blue caesartone (regular) is our first choice but am still concerned about nicks and scratches. I posted question on another thread about that color.

A new contender in case we don't get the lagos blue is cambrian black antique granite (but I don't have a price on that and I'm concerned it will flunk the budget test).

So--updates? comments?

• nesting12
    14 years ago

I'm also in the decide-on-countertop mode and wondering how this all turned out-- concrete caesarstone is on my consideration list but I want it to be very durable! Tartanhabit, what did you decide? (I have the exact same "before" tile, by the way). Quantumkitten, do you like your caesarstone?

• Kelly Wetmore_Miles
    8 years ago

quantum kitten What is your review of your caesarstone now all these years after your remodel?

• Renae Swenson
    6 years ago

I noticed a lot of these comments were awhile back, I just wanted to give my opionion on the caesarstone concrete for what it's worth. I regret getting it on my island. You can't even touch it without the oil from your hand showing marks or if you get anything on it , you can't just wipe off. You have to get the granite cleaner out and spray. It shows marks and scratches. We have only had it for a short time. I wish I would of known this before picking. Maybe it's all dark colors that do it I don't know.

• joan12345678
    4 years ago

Renae can you clarify whether your island is the polished version of Concrete 2003? I was considering this and your comments are worrisome. If anyone has experience with polished Concrete 2003, please let me know.

• Renae Swenson
    4 years ago

Yes it is, and yes I still regret getting it. I can clean with the recommended granite cleaner and still see marks. it might be the piece I have but i wish I would of used something else.. I have the white in master bath and like it.

• joan12345678
    4 years ago

The installer tells us that a couple of years ago there were some defective Caesarstone concrete slabs being produced that they had to replace. Did you by any chance try to get Caesarstone to fix the problem and if so what response did you get? Thanks for the help.

• Casey Burrows
    4 years ago

Care and Maintenance

Honed, Concrete and Rough surfaces may require additional daily and weekly care. Due to the nature of the surface design, it is recommended that common household spills like liquid droplets and rings are dried immediately. As with any matte product, owners of Concrete, Honed and Rough finishes may experience seeing an increase in smudges from everyday living.

Weekly, the surface should be cleaned with Soft Scrub Liquid Gel with Bleach and thoroughly dried.

We encourage you to order a sample of our products that you are considering. When you receive your sample, try treating it to a few different scenarios that you may face in your kitchen; spill something on it, touch it with greasy fingers, clean it. This will help you understand how the surface responds to your daily life and how comfortable you feel with it.

Complete Caesarstone Surface Care and Maintenance is available here and to view our Collections and order a sample, please visit our Collections page.

https://www.caesarstoneus.com/customer-care/finishes/