SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taggie_gw

Help with Fridge-Run and Stove-Run layout

taggie
13 years ago

Hi GWers. I've been (mostly) lurking for some time, and now would love a review of my kitchen plan.

This is our current kitchen:

The island is done (last year), and now we want to update the two side runs.

Current layout (original builder design) doesn't function well. Fridge is on the wall behind the sink and the stove is on the long side run. Biggest issue is that my husband gets in the way if he needs to wash his hands, get water for making coffee, or use the fridge. Secondary issue is that we'd like the stove moved out of the main pathway it's in now (and putting on the back wall will accomplish that).

Mainly we want to switch the fridge and stove runs. The things that can't change are the island layout, doors and windows. But anything else in the two side runs are doable.

This is our forever home; so we care about what works for us and not about resale value. Would love feedback before we commit to the cabinetry. Background on goals and other questions from the FAQ:

Goals: better flow for me to be cooking while hubby is coffee-making or grabbing a snack. Want to discourage anyone from being in the stove/sink aisle ... they are welcome and encouraged everywhere in the kitchen except for there.

Family & kitchen styles: Just hubby and me. I'm the chief cook and bottle washer; he visits, has coffee, and sometimes grabs his own snack. We entertain friends and family once a week or so, but I prefer to be the sole cook and cleaner even then. Love having many people gathered around the island, but on the seating side not the working side. :-)

Must haves: Coffee/snack center with a separate sink and microwave (hubby heats his coffee in there often when it goes cold, and I'd like to have him do it in the beverage center and not the cooking area). Double Fridge/Freezer; we have the Kenmore all-fridge and all-freezer sitting in the garage ready to go, so those are keepers. Would like a 48" stove since I really want two ovens and that's the most economical way (space-wise behind the sink run) that I can think to do it, and also have a separate microwave in the cooking area.

Currently I show the m/w as a drawer-microwave but I'm not married to that. I just can't think of an alternate way to elegantly incorporate two ovens, a microwave, and an at least 6-burner cooktop without doing the 48" range and drawer microwave. Open to suggestions if anyone can think of a better configuration.

Last thing I should mention is that I cook pretty much every day but it's pretty standard fare of meat and veggies, soups and salads, etc. I rarely if ever bake anymore (unless you count reheating pies from the farmers' market, lol).

Here are the mockups. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)