SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephcil

regular or counter height kitchen table?

stephcil
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, reading a lot of posts and looking at the amazing kitchen pics!

We are currently remodeling our kitchen. We have an average sized kitchen attached to a small family room.

The new cabinets are a maple butterscotch color (glazed), so they are a very warm cream color. Our floors are oak, stained w/ a color called provencial, so the floor is on the darker side. I plan on painting the walls a gold color. The look I am going for is traditional.

We have an L shaped set up, and that is staying the same (with the fridge being at the far end, across from the start of our L shape coming from the wall backing to the dining room). We decided to not have an island, as our kitchen really isn't wide enough. Our current island was more of a hassle than anything . To maximize counter space and cabinet space, we are putting an approx 8 ft stretch of countertop and 3 base cabinets along the area that starts after the L shape ends (this area juts out a little from the kitchen, so it will be the area where I will bake with the kids, and if company is over the food and stuff will be displayed there). So this area kind of extends the L shape techinally. There will also be a new large window over this.

My question is (after all that!): we are having trouble deciding on a new table. We have found 1 regular height table at jc penneys, but it is 72" long w/out a leaf. We plan on putting a table parallel to the new stretch of counter/cabinets/window. I'm worried a table this big will be too much, as it will come pretty close to the family room (which isn't that big, and we did rip down the half wall).

The other table we like is a counter height table. It is 54" long, is a rectangle (square w/ a leaf) that can seat 6 (we are a family of 5). My husband really likes the idea of counter height, but I'm worried it will take away from the new area of counter/cab/window I explained above. (not to mention we do have a 2 1/2 year old, and I worry a bit about her on the chairs). It is a nice set though, pretty basic, pretty colored wood that compliments our floor, w/ padded chairs, and storage in base of table. My aunt is a designer and working on the kitchen for us, and she feels a counter height will take away as I said.

Am I worrying about this too much? Any opinions? Is counter height maybe only for a more modern style? I can try to post pictures soon as maybe that will help.

Thanks!

Comments (12)