SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Wood Drawer Glides (Slides), Anyone?

John Liu
13 years ago

Some friends fed me last night. Luscious braised lamb shank, that fell from the bone at the wave of a fork, dripping with rich dark reduced sauce, a couple of good Oregon pinot noirs, duck pate, and more. Mmm mmm.

But this post concerns their kitchen drawer glides.

They have a 1920s house, and when they redid the kitchen, they kept the original upper cabinets above the sink. Like theresse, my friends had a cabinet make build custom lowers and a tall refrigerator-pantry unit, to match the original uppers. It is understated and beautiful.

When they opened a drawer, I was impressed at how well the metal glides had been concealed. Then I realized, there were no metal glides. The drawer slid on perfectly smooth, slippery, broad wood runners set into the thick drawer box sides.

The motion was fluid and slick, natural, gentle. Very different from a metal roller glide. And much more attractive, to me. These drawers are about three years old, pretty deep, loaded normally, used daily. Apparently the cabinet maker is an old ponytailed hippie craftsman sort, and he just prefers wood glides. He's precise enough to build these into inset cabinets - and get it right so that the gaps are perfect.

Anyone considering this option for their custom cabinets? Anyone know about how wood glides hold up in a kitchen?

I should have examined their kitchen more closely for interesting touches. But you know how it is, there's a fine line between expressing flattering interest in your host's kitchen, and coming off as some sort of kitchen pervert who can't be left alone with the cabinets.

Comments (24)