SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

Next up...backsplash! Opinions please!

15 years ago

Thank you so much for your opinions re: the range hoods. I am leaning toward the canopy style. Now: backsplashes. From the beginning I have always pictured white glossy subway tile, with ideally a framed, subtle, white on white design right over the range. Simple, classic. If I go with the chimney hood there is no question but that I will go with subway tile. But if I go with the canopy hood (and I think I will), I am thinking of the following two options for the backsplash:

1. original plan: white ceramic subway tile everywhere on the wall that is not covered by cabinet.

2. 36" wide stainless steel backsplash running up the wall from the stove to the hood. (think prettykitty's backsplash but in a smaller version.) Then, white beadboard under the wall cabinets flanking the stove (with a possible bracket between beadboard and stainless steel backsplash on either side - again with my hutch fetish!)

A couple of things appeal to me about plan 2. I think it might be less common, less overdone, and possibly more visually interesting than the subway tile. Also, it "ties in" to the rest of the kitchen because we already have stainless steel (appliances) and beadboard (island and also the hutch on the information side of the peninsula will have a beadboard back) , whereas the subway tile is an additional surface material that doesn't really relate to anything else in the room. Further, it would eliminate the need to agonize over tile color (I know I want white but...creamy white? white white? whiter than the cabinets? less white than the cabinets?...you get the idea.) With the beadboard I would just match the other beadboard in the room. On the other hand, what's not to love about subway tile?? Plus I'd have to give up my tile design over the range (whatever it was going to be.) Finally, subway tile was my first concept and shouldn't I stick with my instincts? Here I go , second guessing again...please vote!!!

Comments (5)