SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Will we regret not getting a thru-body porcelain tile?

merimom
15 years ago

I posted this in the Flooring Forum, but that forum does not get nearly the amount of traffic that the Kitchen forum gets. I would actually like to hear from people with tile in their kitchens anyway, so here it goes...

I recently asked what are the characteristics of a quality tile and some of the responses mentioned that the tile should be thru-body color (where the color on the top of the tile goes through out the whole tile so if you chip it you see the same color underneath). I had always assumed that ALL porcelain tiles were thru body, but now I understand that it not the case.

Since then I have been visiting numerous tile stores looking for a porcelain thru-body tile that looks like honed travertine. I am not really finding anything I like. I have found a few contenders, but they are NOT thru-body (they are glazed porcelain).

Am I getting too hung up on "thru-body"? Will we be just as satisfied with a good glazed porcelain with a PEI rating of 4 or 5, or will we regret not getting the thru-body?

We are tiling most of our first floor (Kitchen, 1/2 bath, laundry room, front entrance, and garage door entrance (this entrance gets the most use). I would love to find something that will still look good in 20 years (Is that too much to hope for?). I worry about the glaze wearing off a tile that is not thru-body. Is this a legitimate concern?

Those with tile in your kitchens, any words of advice?

Thanks!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio