SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

dark wood cabs, drawer front dilemma, down to the wire

jessie21
16 years ago

since march, i have been struggling with how to change my kitchen, trying so hard to find a way to keep most of my high quality cabinets (wood mode, custom from former owners, but with hideous doors that i've lived with for 12-13 years)... and have a new area built to replace desk and microwave cabinet. the cabs were the most important decision for me...the scariest, most expensive, etc. after many trials and rethinkings and such, i gave up on trying to do this myself and finally found a local cabinet guy who will build the new area for me, make and replace all the rest of my doors/drawer fronts, and reface the old cab boxes so all will match. i'm scared beyond belief.

i need to make a couple of decisions in the next couple of days, when i have to put down a deposit and was hoping you could all help.

i know that most wood lovers love natural wood...but for my kitchen cabinets, i want stained wood. really really dark stained wood. i don't want paint...i want to start with wood and then maybe paint in the next kitchen update in 10 or so years :) seriously. so, my first question is, what wood should i choose? i was going to go with cherry but then thought maybe there would be something that would work better but that would not be much more expensive.

i love celticmoon's dark refurbished oak, but does it make sense for me to choose oak when, like celtic, the busy grain kinda bugs me? it would save a little money...not sure how much, maybe 6 or 700. what wood works best with a dark dark stain? the stain color will be another agonizing one when the time comes...soon!...and i am open to all suggestions. should i get cherry?

can anyone show me pics of their really dark cabinets? i did search the finished kitchen blog some, but kept finding ones that look a little medium or medium dark to me.

my other immediate dilemma is that my cab guy was going to make drawer fronts that are similar to the center panel of what will be my new raised panel doors. but i kind of want plain drawer fronts (there would be a teeny groove or eased edge shape on the edges.) my question: is it ok to have plain drawer fronts and raised panel doors? does anyone do this and does anyone have pictures to show me?

sorry this is long. i will have more questions sometime soon.....sure hope you all can help.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio