SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonyecka

HELP! new granite countertop - can't stand it

moonyecka
16 years ago

I am heartsick. My kitchen remodeling will conclude next week with the installation of two granite countertops. The stone is not the color I expected (by a long shot) -- in fact, it's a color I passionately dislike. It clashes with the newly installed porcelain tile floor and new undermount sink. The result is a kitchen with a totally different look from what I had in mind (Long story how I got here. Lessons learned. That's for another time.) I don't think I have any alternative -- too much money down the drain. But I also don't think I can live with this color (both sides of a narrow galley kitchen) and the running battle between floor and countertop (two different and incompatible shades of green.) I thought I would spend the rest of my life in this apartment. Now, for the first time ever, I am thinking about selling. (I can imagine prospective buyers grimacing at the strange color combination.) My question: Is there any way on earth to cover a granite countertop and hide the color? e.g. spread a thin film of resin? or tile? I've never liked the feel of corian, but I would happily trade this countertop for corian in a color I liked.

It's not installed yet. If I simply refused the delivery, is there any market at all for prefabricated granite countertops? I can't afford to lose so much money.

Comments (84)