SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Is seaming Granite at sink OK? How about rodding a 12in overhang?

raehelen
16 years ago

I noticed DMiller said that he doesn't like to seam granite at the sink-(am going to assume here that he is a granite fabricator/installer). Never having had granite before, I do not know the reason for that preference. Our granite guy (who unfortunately is very new at this- long story- new company-their 'granite guy' is back-logged terribly-so they bought equipment and the manager is going to be doing our pieces)plans to do one of the seams in the middle of the sink right above the seam/line where the cabinets meet. He figures this almost makes the seam invisible and it lines up with everything. I expressed a concern about the stability right in the middle where I will be leaning over sink to water my plants in greenhouse window behind sink. He is going to use a piece of flat angle iron glued to the 3/4" plywood under my 2cm granite and then to the cabinet's plywood. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this?

Secondly, because they screwed up the initial fabrication of the peninsula they are cutting me a new piece- so there is extra granite, and we decided to extend the planned 9" overhang to 12". My hubby was concerned that the base cabinets weren't strong enough to provide support for a bracket, so the granite guy is going to rod the granite every foot or so. Will that be sufficient support for the overhang? And should we still have 3/4"plywood under that 2cm granite overhang also?

Thirdly- we are having an approximately 5 1/2" X 10 1/2' ,2cm thick strip on top of our pony wall. So that we don't see the plywood under the bullnose nosing- would a 1/2" thick plywood provide sufficient support instead of the 3/4" thick plywood that we will be using in the kitchen? The top of the pony wall is now the long side of a 2X4 and it is perfectly level.

Comments (8)