SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

New Footprint worth the money?

15 years ago

I am hoping you all could help me even though I don't have a drawn out floorplan as suggested for newbies. I don't have a program that I am able to create one on. Hopefully, I will be able to give enough details to get a good answer.

Our current kitchen is a narrow galley style with a dining area off to one end. The kitchen area itself is 14X10. We would love to open the kitchen up by removing a non load bearing wall into the living room. However, by doing so, we lose our beloved builtin. I believe it will be worth it in the end. We don't want to change the dining area that is to the end of the kitchen.

Here is where the drawing would come into play but I will describe it as best as I can. The kitchen sink is on the exterior wall. One end of the kitchen is the dining area and the other has a door leading to the office. The double ovens, stove top, and fridge are all on the wall we would remove. I would close off the door to the office and place the double oven and stove top there. The fridge would go at the end of the cabinets near the dining area, same side as the sink. It would basically be an L shaped kitchen...starting from dining area-----fridge, cabinets, sink, cabinets, turn into L shape, cabinets, stove, cabs, and then double ovens. I was hoping by losing the wall, the lr builtins, and the cabinets on that side, this would give me room for an island with seating. The kitchen would now be 12X14 but there wouldn't be cabinets and stoves taking up floor space on that side. What do you think? Enough room for an island/bar?

Would you go to the expense of redoing the kitchen in the way I described? I guess what I am asking is, would the change be enough to warrant a new footprint? Or should I stay with the galley and update it as is?

Comments (6)