SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

minimum width for pantry?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

We have a space around 70-1/2" x max 72" that I could make into a pantry and I'm wondering what would be the best configuration for it--the entry has to be on the 72" side and we have to use all of the 70-1/2" because of the way the walls are configured (both load bearing, not moving). I could make it narrower, say, 5' wide vs. using the whole 6' -- but the 70-1/2" has to be used.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what some basic parameters for a walk-in pantry can be--e.g. can I get away with 3' for an aisle, then say 2' depth of shelves on one side and 1' depth on the other, for the total of 6'? Do I need 2' deep shelves or would it be better to have, say, 18" shelves on each side? We can put the microwave in there too, thank goodness--right now it's in a wet bar that the PO had installed approx. 15' from the kitchen (go figure...) -- this way it will be part of the "kitchen" proper, finally.

Oddly enough, I had this brainstorm today because of weedyacres' demoing her pantry -- I've decided that that is a brilliant way to use some space next to the kitchen where my computer has been but which will be open space when we move the computer into a soon-to-be-finished remodeled bedroom...

Thanks for any guidelines or leads...

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths