SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Prep/clean OR cooktop face family room?

Frankie_in_zone_7
16 years ago

Okay, this question is akin to the sink-window question. I wondered, any thoughts on COOKING while facing outward, vs. prep/cleaning with the best view?

In my current U-shaped kitchen the cooktop is on a sidewall facing the wall, and one leg of the U is a counter/high breakfast bar that contains the only sink, and the DW, facing into the family room and a large bank of windows. I have really enjoyed this "long view" when cleaning up and I also try to do most of my vegetable prep on this counter, though there's not a long enough run to be ideal.

I'm redesigning to try to open up the U to possibly an angled island design, since the U is kind of small and is only a 1-person kitchen. It works well for just me, but I get "boxed in" and folks either just stand in the way or won't come in.

Likely it will be most economical to keep water where it is, and electric (cooktop) about where it is, BUT I want to consider different designs, at least in theory.

I do actually "cook", meaning saute, stir fry and have to watch things. In some cases, need to concentrate enough that distractions would be a problem! However, a lot of cooking IS actually simmering,keeping food warm until DH comes home, etc, so using the "best" counter area for that seems a waste. So, while I have great images of the happy cook sipping a glass of wine while stirring a pot, looking out and visiting with guests, I'm thinking I can be happy with cooktop remaining against a wall (am also considering moving it further into the corner, since that corner counter space tends to be underutilized and that would free up a longer run of counter for other things).

Then, if I am lucky with my brainstorming of a slightly new floorplan, I can open up the U and have both a cleanup and a prep area that all or partially face outward. This would be especially important if I end up not being able to have more than one sink area. It's not so much that I need to "load the dishwasher" while looking out but that I use the sink constantly for this and that(although, I have found in this kitchen, as opposed to my former one in which the sink was over a window, but with nothing much to look at, I find it much less bothersome now to do the dishes, and I wonder if visiting with folks in family room, TV, long views, better scenery really ARE making it more pleasant).

I should also say that my purpose for opening up the kitchen is more for visiting and for allowing work to be done on the OTHER side of the counter, which doesn't happen now since it is a breakfast bar that's higher than normal and for that and various reasons just is not conducive to anyone's really using it to participate. So I anticipate not really 2 "cooks" but maybe a second person chopping or peeling or visiting. So I think the :"hot" cooking area could be more isolated for me as the main cook.

I wonder how much of this wet vs. cook location is dictated by conscious planning of what you want to see, vs. the most practical place to put things or existing plumbing, etc.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)