SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geauxtigers_gw

Please help a newbie with soapstone!

geauxtigers
11 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and have dark, scraped wood floors and will have some sort of off-white/antiqued glazed cabinets. I have seen a few kitchens with soapstone and a thousand pics of it, and I just love it, I think it will look great with the traditional look of the kitchen compared to granite. I've read dozens of threads on here about it and I'm overwhelmed and confused,and most of the threads are very old so I'm not sure if the types of soapstone I'm taking notes on are even still available.

I am a terrible designer but know what I like when I see it. I like the counters that have some movement to them (hope I'm using that term right... I don't like the ones that are almost solid grey/black with just a random vein here or there). But I don't like things that look super busy either. From pics on the internet I think I like Minas, but don't know if that's easy to find?

I like the patina and am ok with scratches, but persistent water marks I may not be ok with. Looks like those disappear in a few months, or maybe they are a wax/oil issue? Is that correct?

My DH wants granite but has basically left it up to me, but if I accidentally choose one that chips a lot or is a ton of maintenance, he will not be happy and I'll feel terrible.

I've also seen honed/antiqued Virginia mist granite that looks similar to me, so would I just be safer to go with something like that?

I live in the Baton Rouge area and have been told that there is only one place here that handles soapstone... they had one slab in stock and I did not like it... when I asked what kind it was she told me that there is only one type of soapstone and they are all identical! So, no hope there. I'll travel to New Orleans and texas if necessary, but time is a luxury around here too, so I need to know what I'm looking for before I head out on the road.

Any advice on where to start? Any types that you can recommend? Thanks for anything that you can say to point me in the right direction... and pics of yours with the name would be wonderful to see also!

Thanks!!

Comments (10)