SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Quick help!! Height of horizontal outlets from counter??

artemis78
13 years ago

We had planned to keep our existing outlets, which are vertical, and just match all the new ones to their height, but the electrician just arrived and pointed out that when we have the new floor (old cabs were sitting on the subfloor) the existing outlets will basically be sitting on the counter, and the covers may or may not fit. He's right, so we need to move them. But (figures!) we have a sink vent and then a window above them, which means they can't just move up---no choice but to go horizontal (which I'm not too bummed about, truth be told, since we had kind of wanted to do that anyway, and were just trying to save money).

But now he needs to know exactly what height to put them at. Our code does not specify....they can be anywhere from one inch (edge of outlet/plate) to three inches above the counter and still fit. What to do?? They got pulled off the job to go to an emergency but are coming back mid-morning, so now I'm scrambling to find an answer before they return....we like our outlets as low as makes sense, but this is near the sink, so there's splashing potential. Are we okay to go with an inch up from expected counter height, or is that too close? Backsplash will be 3" x 6" subway tiles, but I'm not even going to try to attempt the match-with-tile placement thing since floor and cabinets aren't in yet so we can't get a very exact measurement.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Comments (5)