SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Taking down loadbearing walls-Worth the $$ in our case?

vdinli
10 years ago

Help please! The question I am grappling with right now is whether taking down the loadbearing walls separating the kitchen from the DR and LR is worth the $$$?

We had an architect calculate and design appropriate replacements for the loadbearing walls and his plan involves 3 LVL's, 4 posts and Web reinforcing of the steel beam in the basement to replace two 8' walls! We live in a high cost area-so we are easily looking at 10K or so.

I know everyone says it will open up the space and make it feel larger and we wouldn't mind spending the money if it were to make a huge difference. However, because we have such a small kitchen, the only open space is going to be a
5' peninsula with a column towards the end. See plans below.

I know the $$ tradeoff is something we have to figure out for ourselves. But what would you guys do? It just feels like a lot of work for not much payoff in terms of openness.

Any advice for me? Is our current layout salvageable without taking down the walls?

I am so bummed to be back at Square 1..just when we were ready to start getting quotes on the cabinets etc..Sigh.

Our current layout:

New proposed layout (thanks to Buehl, Lavenderlass, Sena and others for their suggestions on my layout threads).

This one is slightly different layout on the peninsula side-sorry I don't have the overhead view.

Thank you for letting me share my disappointment!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County