SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Gel Mats

Hasn't anyone here tried Gel Pro Chef Mats? They sound fantastic if those with tile or concrete flooring. I haven't made the commitment yet to buying a couple, but was wondering if someone already tried them and was happy.

http://www.letsgel.com/

Comments (53)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I'll have two once I recoup (financially) from the master bath/bedroom, dining room, and part kitchen remodel. Can't wait!
    Monica

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

I have had 3 6ft mats in between my range and prep island for a while now! LOVE them!! My aisle is very wide, so that's why I have 3 side-by-side. I also had to put that rubbery drawer liner stuff under the mats so they wouldn't keep sliding. Other than that, they're a dream!

• Related Discussions

Anti-fatigue mats(gel mats)

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello, I work from home using a "Stand-up" desk, so I have also been on the hunt for an anti-fatigue mat. After some research I decided on a wellnessmat.com mat, especially after reading all the great things people are saying on Amazon about them. But I haven't tried one in person. I recently went into a Bed Bath and Beyond and tried out a Gel-Pro mat and I think an Imprint mat, and I thought the Gel-Pro didn't add much cushion, not much different than standing on carpet over standard carpet padding and the Imprint, like many others, presses down flat like memory foam does. I just ordered a brown Moire pattern 2 x 3 Wellness mat from Brookstone today (they had free shipping, compared to Amazon or Wellnessmat.com that didn't). I will post back on here my opinion once I've received the mat and have had some time to try it out.
    ...See More

gel mats and heated tile

Q

Comments (1)
    I looked on the gelpro website and couldn't find anything that related to heated tiles. I would give them a call and ask them specifically about it. 1-866-GEL MATS (435-6287 Good luck - our feet, knees and backs really like our gel mats. (Ours are from Costco, but the same technology, I'm sure.)
    ...See More

Gel Mats vs Fabric Mats

Q

Comments (2)
    You may want to check out mats by Chilewich. They aren't cheap but I love, love, love her placemats and I have one of her mats by my back door (which catches all the dirt before I enter). The person at Sur La Table said they were very comfortable to stand on. Sur La Table only has certain ones of hers. You can check Chilewich on the web. They are more modern looking and expensive, but wear like iron!
    ...See More

Enclume racks and chefs pro gel mat going to freecycle UNLESS

Q

Comments (1)
    Wow, wish I was closer. The trip from Orange County, NY would eat up way too much gas. You're a good soul offering these items.
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    16 years ago

I'm thinking about one in front of the sink and another in front of the cooktop. We may also rip out the tile and put in cork.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lascatx, isn't your tile flooring new?

• osswb
    16 years ago

mari - I wasn't the first one. Momto4kids was the first one that I know of. I bought mine on her recommendation and I have her to thank. Mine is Chestnut in the original basketweave pattern. I just went to their website and had another look to double check what the name of my color was, and oh my, they have lots of new choices since I purchased mine!

MaryT

• lascatx
    16 years ago

No. We put the tile in when we bought the house so we could chisel through the slab and run a gas line before we moved in. We were only expecting to replace the appliances and countertops, so we figured it was safe to do the floor. We moved the pantry and a couple of things moved just slightly -- plus the water had to be run to and away from the island, so we chiselled some more. The patching is less than great and they used all the tile we had with recuts. I really like this tile -- it looks like limestone, but as my body parts age, a cork floor has some appeal. I don't think we'll do anything in the very near future, but maybe someday. The gel mats might be the interim deal.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lascatx, As I read about the body parts and age, I suddenly had this vision of my own body in 10 years time and looking down at the hard tiles!! Don't scare me like that,lol

The gel mats sound wonderful but I was wondering a bit about the weave and whether stuff would get caught up in it. Mary, could you tell me please? Or is it a pattern-like weave that is solid?

• osswb
    16 years ago

mari - I had some concerns about that too, but I haven't had any problems with stuff getting caught in the basketweave pattern. But if anything did, it would be easy to clean up with a soft brush if it had dried on. Anything wet wipes up cleanly.

The only problem I have is I want another one! :)

MaryT

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

I agree with MaryT...they're VERY easy to keep wiped up. The weave isn't actually woven...it's printed on. So food, etc, can't accumulate under the weave. If something drips, sticks, and dries before you get to it, you just may need to scrub along the weave pattern line a bit, but that's the most you'd have to do. Standing on the gel mats for hours is worth it!

• clueless
    16 years ago

Wow! I was wondering about gel mats and I was very glad to read this. Thanks!

My husband wants to know why, every time I read the kitchen forums, it costs him money.

I think gel mats would make great Christmas gifts for all sorts of people, too. It solves the yearly dilemna of what to get for my mother!

Thanks again.

• holligator
    16 years ago

I saw these advertised and thought they sounded great, but I don't love the look of them. I was planning to have a decorative rug in front of my stove, but that won't provide the same cushion. Could I get away with putting a rug on top of a gel pad?

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Does anyone know of a place you can actually see them> The ones I am thinking of I have only seen in magazine ads.

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Not the same as seeing one in person, but here's a look:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• osswb
    16 years ago

OMG Momto4 - what a lay out! I love it ... and now you've made me want to do the same ... wonder if we can get them to do custom sizes?????

MaryT :)

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! That's a great look and would be easy to keep clean. Not to mention protecting your HW flooring.

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Mary, they didn't have custom sizes when I ordered...but I'm all over it when they do! I want one in front of my main sink.

I LOVE them!

• natal
    16 years ago

Deb, why do you need them on wood floors? I can understand tile and concrete, but wood gives.

• osswb
    16 years ago

Momto4 - oh man me too - I have sent them an email asking about ordering a custom size ... so we'll see.

MaryT

• chips4000
    16 years ago

i love them - but so expensive - twice the price of a nice rug from bbb or lnt....any discounts out there?

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Natal---yeah, you're right...but this is even better! Especially when I'm in the kitchen all day, I like standing on these...a LOT more give...not like walking on foam rubber...squishy, but not in an off-balance way...gel-squishy and it gives in the right areas under your foot.

Mary---keep me posted!

chips4000---yeah, expensive...but so worth it! I had a synthetic sisal-like rug, custom-sized with a really good pad. I've had throw rugs, braided rugs, just about everything...nothing matched the comfort from these gel mats!

• natal
    16 years ago

Deb, like I need any more temptation, lol! I do love that crocodile red! Think I'll play it safe for now and just bookmark the site and then see how it goes once I'm in the new kitchen.

• osswb
    16 years ago

I'm gonna report another big advantage of these mats, besides how wonderful they are to stand on. I have a big hairy dog that sheds TONS of hair every day and every other throw rug I have ever tried in the kitchen ended up being just a hair magnet and difficult to keep looking nice. Vacuuming a throw rug is not fun or easy ... especially when it is needed most every day! So I had given up on kitchen mats / rugs altogether. To my delight (and I expected to be this way or I would have never spent the money), the pet hair doesn't stick to the Gel Mat. Any that's on it, comes right off with my daily "swiffering."

MaryT

• osswb
    16 years ago

Deb - An update ... I heard back from the Gel Mat people this am and they will be offering custom sizes sometime in the beginning of 2008! Yes!!! They are gonna contact when me when the option is available and I will either post here or shot you an email.

MaryT

• suska6184
    16 years ago

osswb-
    please post when you hear, that is great news! I've put off ordering because the sizes available are not ideal for me. I guess I could put up with the backache from marathon Christmas cookie baking one more time if I can get the size I'd like shortly after. YEA!!!

• osswb
    16 years ago

suska - Will do!

MaryT

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Great news Mary! Yes...keep me on the reminder list!! Thanks for checking!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This I found out today at a local shop, and makes me even more interested: Fabric is imported from Germany. Mats made in the USA.

• chips4000
    16 years ago

Wahoo! they sell them at bed bath and beyond! Am off to the store with my 20% off coupons!!!!!

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Wow, chips, I did not know BBB carried them. When I searched for a store on the product website, it showed me a place a state away. There's a BBB about 20 minutes away. At least I can go look at them, but too bad they don't carry much of a color selection. I'll probably still wait to order a custom size, but for someone who wants their standard sizes in those particular colors, 20% off is a great deal! Thanks for the heads up.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chips, that's great news! I never thought to look for them at BB&B. Been checking the sites online.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Is this it?

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Yes, those are the ones! Great deal with a coupon! Shoot, wish I had that opportunity back then. Oh well...still happy!

• osswb
    16 years ago

I didn't know BB&B carried them either and that IS a great deal if you want one of the standard sizes!

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Hey all!

I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention...did you see the other patterns and colors the gel mats come in now?! I love the new patterns!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Patterns...

• tonda1
    16 years ago

ARGHHHH! Now they have the beautiful red one that I wanted! Kind of makes me mad because I specifically emailed and asked them if they were going to do a red before I bought mine a couple months back. I do like the FEEL of mine but NOT the look. I have the original basket weave in hazelnut.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My BB&B didn't have them in the store, but I got to order one of the standard sizes yesterday. I didn't see those new patterns on their website!

• janwad
    16 years ago

Not in my BB&B either.

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm hesitant to ask this, because it seems like a dumb question, yet I want to hear opinions from Gel Mat owners. Does a gel mat make any difference if you're wearing rubber-treaded walking shoes? When I'm marathon-cooking, like on Thanksgiving, I lace on my ugly SAS's with extra-cushioned insoles. I'm guessing that with these shoes on, it doesn't matter whether I'm standing on tile, a rug, or a gel mat. Please let me know if I'm wrong. (My tootsies need all the TLC they can get.)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

My BB&B doesn't have them either but I was able to purchase one at the store via their website and use the 20% coupon. It will ship, FREE, to my home. Total price for the 36" was $86something.
    Monica

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

My BB&B does have them, and I tested one out this weekend while wearing sturdy, comfy shoes and socks. I was genuinely surprised that I could feel a difference, even with so much padding between my feet and the mat. Didn't buy one though -- they're awfully small.

• perel
    16 years ago

I have commercial/industrial fatigue mats - not the gel ones specifically. I've noticed that when I'm wearing shoes, the difference from standing on the bare floor is less night-and-day than when I'm barefoot, but the mat still improves my posture markedly and it's still noticably softer than the bare floor. (Interestingly, an overly soft mat will tire you out FASTER than a properly firm one..)

They're the ones with lots of little rubber domes; it has a bit of a 'foot massage' feel to stand on and discourages me from standing on the sides of my feet, which I tend to do when on a hard surface.

I would guess that the gel mats would have a similar effect.

• chips4000
    16 years ago

I bought 2 six foot mats - for along the sink and cooktop. A Sales Manager at BBB saw them in my cart and said they got them in a few weeks ago and they are flying out of the store. I did consider the gel mats vs runners ($89 each), but these actually work out better. They are only 2 feet wide, but I didn't put them under the toe kick. Anyway, we love them - they wipe up easy, broom well and look and feel great. I purchased them in black as my kitchen is accented in black.

• susanka
    16 years ago

I see at least one poster had trouble with these mats moving. How about anyone else? We previously bought heavy rugs and put a no-slip backing on them but they moved drastically on our tile floor, kept on going until they reached the wall every day. I'm considering Gel-Pro but would like to hear more about experience with them moving or not.

Thanks in advance for any further information.

• msrose
    16 years ago

momto4kids - Can you tell me what two paint colors you used in your kitchen?

Laurie

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susank, I have mine a couple of days now, and it does NOT move.

Mari

• susanka
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mari. DH about passed out when I told him two 6-foot ones would be $600, but I'm planning to go for it. Means I can't get the sofa I wanted yet!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

osswb...any word on the custom sizes?

• osswb
    16 years ago

buehl - not as yet, but I keep checking their website in case they forget to notify me as promised. I will be sure and post here with any news. I am anxiously awaiting those custom sized mats! :)

MaryT

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

I got one for my mother for Christmas - her kitchen floor nearly did me in on Thanksgiving - she's really enjoying it.

• susan_2008
    16 years ago

I have one on my slate floor. I love it! It looks good and really saves my feet.