SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Are kitchens headed in this direction?

palimpsest
12 years ago

There has been a trend toward more active granites, multiple finishes on cabinets, multiple countertop materials, backsplashes with accent rows and picture-like or medallion like "features" over sink or range, etc. Add to this recessed or close to ceiling lighting, mixed with pendants and a chandelier.

I think the combination of pattern and variety in kitchens is surpassing that of living rooms, where people still seem to be afraid of pattern, and to some extent color. But a living space, once decorated, has all the layers contents with the exception of magazines and some of the detritus of daily life perhaps.

In a kitchen however, I think these layers are composed as if the kitchen and the countertops are going to remain empty, and in most cases this isn't true. Start adding the countertop appliances, containers, canisters, food, lists and other objects of daily living and there is a lot of stuff piled onto or in front of these ornamental surfaces.

So I wonder, if on some level, we are headed into a phase of "aesthetic movement" -style layering: (and layering is something people seem to be really afraid of in other areas of home decor) Do you think we "see" or "not see" these two parts of the house differently?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (138)