SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pay_it_forward

Am I heading in the right direction?

pay_it_forward
12 years ago

Hi All!

After a long stretch of illness in our household (first my daughter, then my husband, and finally me) I'm back at it trying to figure out our floor plan! I appreciate any feedback you can offer!!

Here's a recap of our story/preferences:

My husband and I, along with our two year old daughter, live in rural North Carolina. Our desire is to build a home that is healthy for both people and planet, using as many sustainable materials and methods as possible.

We own five acres and will be orienting the home to the south to benefit from passive solar heating. Our plans include solar water heating as well as preparation for future installation of photovoltaic panels. As we are not keen on forced air, we are considering ductless mini-splits to supplement the passive heating and cooling strategies we have in place.

While keeping in mind that the future is unpredictable, we are planning as if this will be the home we never move from (trying to incorporate as many universal design principles as feasible). In 3-4 years, we are planning to foster children (and potentially adopt). It is also important that we plan for the possibility of parents living with us in the future.

Here are our preferences:

- a nature inspired (organic architecture), mid-century modern/Scandinavian feeling, bright (lots of natural light) home that has character and is beautifully simple, functional, budget friendly...

- single level less than 2000 sq. ft.

- three clustered bedrooms (including master) and, on the opposite side, one flex space near the guest bathroom to be used as a combo fitness/guest/potential parent quarters

- one master bathroom and two three-quarter bathrooms

- laundry near bedrooms

- kitchen open to living area, with dining area to the side

- one main entry (a disguised mud room with lockers and a utility sink)

- safe room that can be utilized as something else (closet, laundry, etc.)

- seamless indoor/outdoor living

Plan specifics:

- the top of the plan is south

- mountain views to the south and southwest

- slab foundation

- still trying to determine the type of roof - thinking about a shed, a hip with a raised center (we also like FLW's prairie style), a modernized gable with clerestory windows, or a combination of sorts

- that is an attached carport rather than a garage (for aesthetics, thinking of spaced horizontal wood slats on the front (north) and left (east) sides with a sliding gate to access the covered walkway to the front door)

- the large door from the kitchen into the bedroom is supposed to be a sliding barn door (we plan to utilize this as a playroom/classroom for the time being and this doorway allows for supervision from the kitchen)

- the skinny rectangles separating the LR from the guest bath and flex room are bookcases

- small walk-in closet in master bedroom is also the safe room

- "family room" is combo fitness/guest room with a Murphy bed (the rectangle)

- that is a folding table across from the washer and dryer

- outside to the right of the dining room will be our daughter's playground area and to the left will be a "secret garden" style room accessible as well from the master bedroom

Thanks a bunch!

Comments (12)