SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hags00

Stef2000 - floor question

hags00
11 years ago

I am going to answer your question here since Rhome's thread is huge and I just by chance saw your question.

I too am on a slab and in a cold climate so my goal in my flooring was to get off the cement and not glue anything to it. I also have two 60 lb mutts who always travel at a high rate of speed, meet and greet and skid around corners....floor killers.

I ruled out engineered wood because some could never be refinished and some could only be refinished once.

For my kitchen attached the the entry, I chose Marmoleum Click. After a month the floor killers have already scratched it, it is not extremely noticeable and such is life around here!

For the 1200 sq ft living areas except one small carpeted sunroom, I chose laminate. I looked at tons of brands and decided I wanted single plank for the most realistic look and I wanted something dark (just because I had decades of amber oak floors). I found the look of laminates varied greatly and I searched based on color, pattern of the wood and texture.

I chose Quick Step Rustique Toasted Hickory. I was prepared in all brands to go to their top of their line to get the thickest and "best" but this was my favorite and was reasonably priced, middle line of Quick Step. Only one month in and I am very satisfied with it. No scratches yet from my floor killers.

Being on a slab you have to protect from moisture with a moisture barrier. Under my marmoluem I put 6 mil plastic per the manufactures instructions...a huge pain to work with. Under the Quick Step, I put their own bottom line 2&1 underlayment (combi floor) which provides complete moisture protection and basic sound protection. I wasn't worried too much about the sound because there is no living space below on a slab so I didn't bother with their premium underlayments. Very, very easy to work with and lay. If I had chosen something like Pergo XP with underlayment attached, I would have had to add the 6 mil plastic underneath that.

Another pic below, the blue stuff is the underlayment waiting to be trimmed.

Works well with my lifestyle and the way we "use" a house and I am really satisfied with it.

Comments (2)