SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jk55

Opinions needed about Bosch electric range

jk55
12 years ago

I have posted this msg on the Appliance forum, but hoping to get more responses here in Kitchen, too! I am on the verge of purchasing a new electric range for my kitchen remodel and am wavering back and forth between Bosch 700 series Pro style slide-in and GE Cafe freestanding/slide-in look. I had a few other brands on the list earlier (Kitchenaid, Kenmore Elite and Frigidaire) but these two brands seemed to have won out mostly because of more positive consumer reviews (or less negative ones). They have all of the features I am looking for in a stove (true convection, temp probe, warming drawer) and also they both have control knobs on the front for the elements, not a total touch screen design (like the Kenmore). AT this point, I am leaning toward the Bosch for the following reasons:

--I like the look and design of the built in smoothtop integrated into the counters and also the overall styling of the range itself. It just appeals to me more than the chunky Cafe (I have small hands and am not a great fan of the hard core industrial look - I have seen the gas version of the Cafe).

--Also I like the uncluttered arrangement of burners on the cooktop, they just look more natural to me, more room on the top, and what I think I would feel the most comfortable using. I especially like the triple element burner on the right front, the ability to simmer on all of the burners, and do not need 5 burners or a bridge element.

--The telescoping rack in the oven also appeals to me.

--Also, I would prefer a warming drawer to a baking one.

Even though I like the ease of installation of the freestanding style and the reliability of the American-born GE brand, my main con toward the GE is paying for features that I really do not want or like, and it is several 100 dollars more than the Bosch. But I would if there were a serious deal-breaking problem with it. (BTW, I was leaning toward the Kitchenaid until I read the horror stories about the self clean problems on these forums!)

My decision is being complicated by the fact that I cannot personally view any Bosch range that is even close in style and features to this particular one. The only ones on display in stores near me are the basic starter models, not even stainless steel, with black or white knobs on the back splash. I would like to know if anyone out there has this higher end model or a similar one and how they like it. Specifically I would like to know:

--How the knob quality is - I know that there was an issue about the silver knobs on the 700 series being cheap and peeling paint, but I noticed a post on this forum from mid-Sept 2011 that said the issue has been addressed by Bosch and they are issuing redesigned knobs to current owners. The poster even gave an 800 number to call (thank you!! I think I will call it to get more information) - Any more feedback on this would be helpful.

--I would like to know if the spin and set dial to program functions works well and is user-friendly/easy to learn and get used to - it seems foreign to me.

--I would like to know where the hot indicator lights/hot surface lights are located and how many are there? (Can't seem to find them in the pictures!)

--How well the simmer feature works and any other features that anyone likes and/or works well.

--I am also concerned about ease of servicing this German brand product.

If I could view one of these myself, my questions would mostly be cleared up, but I really cannot afford the time or money traveling to far off cities looking for a bigger display store.I have heard many good comments on the Bosch quality of all of their appliances, so am only going on this premise to trust I would be happy in this choice for this long term and very expensive purchase.

Thanks for any comments on either of these two stoves!! Janet

Comments (10)