SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theglampad

Statuary with Black Marble or Soapstone in the Kitchen?

theglampad
11 years ago

This is my first time to post a query via GardenWeb, but I have been stalking it for months now! My husband and I are in the process of gutting and completely renovating our 1973 home, and I have done tons and tons of research on marble for our kitchen. I know all the pros and cons, and I am prepared for the reality of etching. We will use DuPont Bulletproof sealant once installed.

I had my heart set on honed Statuary marble for our center island and backsplash areas, and Barroca soapstone for the peripheral cabinets. Then I found the most amazing black marble at our local granite/marble wholesale. The color and veining looks just like Barroca soapstone, but at almost half the cost of soapstone, and it is beautiful. Can anyone offer pros and cons on black marble vs. soapstone to help me make my decision? Is there any particular reason black marble is not a popular option for kitchens?

I also am now reconsidering honed and getting polished. That polished black marble was STUNNING! From my research, I have gathered that polished helps prevent staining a bit more than honed. Etching will happen regardless, it just doesn't contrast visibly if marble is honed. The marble slabs I'm looking at come polished, and I don't really want to spend more to have them honed. I figure if I regret the decision, I can either have them honed in the future, or have the polish refinished. Right??

Please let me know your thoughts on if I should 1) go with the polished Statuary and black marble, or 2) stick with my original plan of honed Statuary and Barroca soapstone. And if option 2, how much does it cost to hone polished marble? Thank you!!

Comments (15)