SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supra92

1904 Southern Colonial - 2 years later, an update!

supra92
13 years ago

(Posting as new thread, since apparently the one from 2008 is 'inactive'. Here's the original thread for those interested: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0721280127410.html )

Well, now just how horrible do I feel, replying now over 2 years since the thread's last posting? Or for the fact that so little has been accomplished in yet another 2 years' time? I've read back over the ensuing posts a number of times over the past year however, and really appreciate the positive comments and words of encouragement. Although I've been AWOL for too long, rest assured that all of you at GW come up each and every time someone comes over to my house and asks about the kitchen. Few people believe me when I say I couldn't have done it without you!

Also, additional apologies to jwm211, gam51, cran, marybeth1, cookin45, and anyone else who was unable to see the pictures for a period of time. I run a webserver out of my house, so whenever lightning strikes (literally) or TimeWarner has an outage, the pics go down. Thankfully TWC is actually pretty good about uptime.

Now for the update. Since my pics from the first part of this thread, the following have been done:

- installed faucet for sink (Delta Victorian, SS finish)

- oiled the soapstone (duh!) :-)

- installed pewter cabinet knobs/pulls on all cabinets

- replaced old wood ceiling fan with overhead light

- bought a (very) small kitchen table so I could sit/eat!

- installed handle on dishwasher

- installed garbage disposal

Here's a picture I took standing from the back area of the kitchen (it's shaped like an "L") looking at the main portion, from late April. It's pretty similar to how it is now:

As you can see, it's still not quite finished -- namely, it *still* needs the tile backsplash (deee, yep still planning on the Sylacauga Alabama marble tile you have, assuming it's still available), undercabinet lighting, and a pendant light over the sink. Plus a new set of outlet/switch covers. Once those are done, the kitchen will pretty much be complete as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, a two-year update on the soapstone: is it possible to love soapstone even more now than i did in 2008? Time has done nothing to diminish my passion for those soapstone counters -- maybe that's an odd word to use, but I couldn't think of a more-accurate alternative. It does require periodic oiling -- for anyone thinking they can oil soapstone twice a month for the first 6 mos and then it's basically done, that's not been my experience. It doesn't fade to as light a chalkboard-grey as it was when I first got it, but it lightens enough that I'm compelled to oil it every, say, 2-3 months now. It certainly doesn't have to be done, but... I love oiling the soapstone and look forward to it. Nothing beats that just-oiled near-black charcoal colour with the veining 'popping' :-)

I apologise once again for the excessively-long AWOL, really appreciate the kind words. If anyone would like any specific info on any of the parts, or would like to see more pics or closeups of anything, by all means just ask and I'll put them up!

Cheers to you,

Supra92

Comments (7)