SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsmama

Review my plans for stacked inset cabinets please

gsmama
13 years ago

Hi all, I'm a newbie/graduate lurker. So excited to have found this community and will be pulling the trigger on a kitchen design. Would love to tap into the collective braintrust here for feedback on my design. Also answers to some questions. If my uplink or attachments don't work please let me know how to fix. Also, I don't have the plans with the specific measurements but island is 60", kitchen is 113" by 138" with 9' ceilings. Thx!

1) Background details: we are not changing location of plumbing so will keep the corner sink.

2) Cabinets: Stacked inset. Shaker-style. We are picking between Dura Supreme and Shiloh. Leaning towards Dura Supreme. FYI, shelf above fridge is a placeholder for our intended upgrade to an 84" fridge in a few years. Will hold books for the time being.

3) Questions so far:

--DH wants to put glass cabinets in so to break up the heaviness of the wood. My thought is to do the two bottom cabinets next to the fridge. One KD recommended the two corner cabinets (that create the L) but that looks random to me...Thoughts? Is DH's thought a good one? I am nervous to loose storage behind wood doors to cabinets that will have to have nicely displayed dishes/wine glasses.

--Keep going back between doing 42/18's and 36/24's. Was convinced of the 36/24 combo originally but now wondering if 42/18 draws the eye up more and could be more elegant? My original reservation was that I thought 12's/18's looked tiny on top of such tall cabinets. Also, do 42's come with more shelves (e.g. 4 vs. 36's that come with 3?)

--The microwave dilemma. On the backside of the island--which you can't see--there is a 19" beverage center and cabinet for after-market recycling center (from Rev-a-Shelf I'm thinking). I am wondering how I might gain two cabinets on the front side of the island for my son's toys/crafts. One KD did two options: A) the microwave next to the beverage center (too much stainless together, I think and assume heating element like microwave shouldn't go right next to a fridge?) B) recycling center/beverage center on the end across from the fridge with the microwave across from the stove (I didn't like this option 100%...something about the fridge right next to the RC...).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Design

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH