SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Seriously considering Martha Stewart cabinets

marisany
13 years ago

I'm not doing a kitchen (yet!) We're renovating our attic, and there is a 13' knee wall that I plan to fill with base drawer cabinets. This is the idea (see third photo down, with white cabinetry built into blue walls):

http://completeorganizingsolutions.com/2008/05/knee-wall-spaces.html

I'm planning to use all 3-drawer base cabinets. I went to a local cabinet store and priced out white laminate and painted wood. Then I went to Home Depot, planning to price Kraftmaid, but I saw the Martha Stewart display and loved it. The piece on display was a 4-drawer base cabinet in Turkey Hill/Fortune Cookie. I fell in love with the piece and the color - but I will be using the 3-drawer cabinets because I want mostly deep drawers, and I'll be using her white (Picket Fences).

A bank of five 30" three-drawer base cabinets in Turkey Hill/Picket Fences is $2000 with the current HD promotion. Something similar in painted wood at the cabinet store was well over $3000, and white laminate was over $2000. What has sold me is that the Martha Stewart laminate does not look like laminate. It is hard to believe that it is not a painted finish. After seeing it, it is very hard to look at other company's laminate doors; they look like they were molded.

The MS drawers have some higher-end features. I have not looked into the construction of the cabinets carefully; I saw that a poster here ordered a construction upgrade, and I will consider this. But for my use, a stronger cabinet may not be needed.

I have to decide whether to have the knee wall come down straight, flush with the cabinet fronts (with some molding to finish it), or to put a counter on them and have the slanted ceiling extend to the backs of the cabinets (the space above the cabinets will be triangular in cross-section).

Comments (18)