SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

? re: not doing the 4" extended countertop-into-backsplash

Molly Phillips
11 years ago

So, as I build my budget, I dropped into Home Depot today to get a quote on countertops, just to have something to reference when I GASP at the final amount we need to save to do this "mini" (but quickly evolving to a large and expensive) remodel.

Anyway, the clerk seemed surprised when she asked what I'm sure she thought was a routine question - don't I want to include the 4" backsplash in the countertop quote? - and I said no. She asked what I planned to do and I told her I was going to do tile all the way down, to which she replied, "Well, you do know that the grout is porous so bacteria/salmonella will leak into it, which is why that 4" backsplash is highly recommended."

I am owning the fact that I was at Home Depot and I'm sure the training there isn't stellar. However, I thought she did raise a valid point and just KNEW my friends here would have the right answer, as I know you guys have researched this already.

If you don't have the 4" backsplash, do you treat your other backsplash in a special way when you're cleaning?

Comments (13)