SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Any aesthetic rules-of-thumb about cab/ceiling crown moldings?

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi,

My DH is very visual while I am a "function over form" sort of gal. Neither of us have any interior design experience. And he's afraid of having to live with a mistake made out of ignorance.

So he's concerned about how one goes about deciding on what the ceiling crown molding dimensions ought to be vis a vis the cabinet crown molding. And we're stuck on this decision, because whereas I have tons of opinions on garbage disposals, I have no instinct about relative nuances of crown moldings. :-)

Hence, I turn to my trusty GW Kitchens forum: any aesthetic rules-of-thumb about matching dimensions/heights/etc of the cabinet crown molding and the ceiling crown molding?

Here are the kitchen details:

- 8 foot 10 inch ceilings in the kitchen

- Having 39 inch wall cabinets, so that takes it up to 93 inches (= 36 lowers + 18 inch lower to upper gap + 39)

- Lets say 3 inch molding on the tops of the cabinets (I can't tell what's precisely in the KD's drawing, but as we didn't want a heavy top cab molding, I think she put in 3 inches).

- Open space above the cabinets (my choice). With the measurements, this stands at 10 inches (the ceiling height minus the 96 inches = 93 cabs plus 3 inches cab crown).

We want a crown molding at the ceiling itself because this is an older home and all of the other ceilings have one. I think the one in the other rooms is 3 inches (diagonal measurement).

Does anyone know of an interior design "rule" similar to all those "You must have 36 inch aisles" sorts of things, that folks "in the know" all know without knowing they know it?

:-)

Being able to point to "a rule", or able to say "everyone on GW says to do it this way" to DH would make my life soooo much simpler. Then I can get back to waxing poetic about garbage disposal features. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)