SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

Layout Brainstorming Starring Mr. T. & Traffic Cop

kdw72697
9 years ago

Hello all!

I'm hoping some of you layout experts would be willing to toss out some layout possibilities for a 1960s kitchen gut renovation.

- The only ideas I have had so far is a giant "T" island and a peninsula near an entryway to change the traffic pattern. I'm stumped.

Here's the Existing Layout:

Here's the Peninsula Acting As Traffic Cop:

Here's the Mr. T.:

Here's the house in which this kitchen sits as depicted in the 1960s builder brochure:

The possibly-relevant info, in no particular order:

- We have the opportunity to purchase this house but the current kitchen is a deal breaker for me.

- The budget is "modest".

- The drawings are very rough as we are only trying to come up with some kind of vision this early in the game, not an actual detailed blueprint.

- The current space is 11 x 10 with 3 heavy-use entryways and LOTS of traffic jams.

- The wall between the current kitchen and the sitting room is NOT load-bearing and can be removed easily.

- The "heavy-use" entrance cannot be moved, and since it is 6 steps down, the kitchen cannot be expanded into that space.

- The hallway entrance shown on the right cannot be moved without great expense. It runs past the basement stairway entrance.

- We are a family of 5 (me, DH, 2 teens and an elementary-aged kid), with big extended families and entertain informally.

- I'm comparing all possibilities to my current country kitchen where the workspace is only 10 x 10 (and a glorious dated golden oak!), but a very functional "G" shape. The only traffic coming into the work triangle are the cooks, not passers-by. :)

- Our current kitchen is truly the heart of the home. It's hard to think about a different kind of kitchen taking that place!

Any advice is most welcome! I am always amazed when I lurk on this board at all the possibilities people come up with that I personally would never have thought about!

Comments (10)