SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

How closely did you watch you cabinet installation?

katsmah
13 years ago

My cabinets are being delivered tomorrow and the current plan is for installation on Monday and Tuesday. I believe installation will be done by the contractor and a carpenter.

I purchased my cabinets through a small cabinet store, and my own fault, didn't realize that they sub out most of their jobs to a local (to them) contractor. All references raved about the work they do, and they had a few repeat customers on the list. I live almost an hour away and became aware pretty quickly that the contractor was not paying the attention to my job that I thought he should. I don't know if it is the distance or size of the project or a combination of both. Too many nights of coming home from work to find stupid mistakes made by the subs who weren't given correct instructions. I would complain, they would fix the mistakes. BF is pretty handy so sometimes it was easier to correct the mistakes ourselves. The contractor basically does a fly-by once a week or so. The last time he showed up was after the latest screw-up and I pretty much lost it.

So now, this contractor will be installing my cabinets. I've taken 2 days off from work for this and am considering sitting in a chair and watching them all day. Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone else feel like they had to babysit the installation?

Comments (17)