SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_b_t

3 weeks in - first oh #&@! encountered

Jon T
13 years ago

I guess it was going to smoothly.

A few months ago, I had given my GC a spare plank of Anderson Mountain Hickory (Golden) that I've kept ever since I had my flooring replaced 8 years ago. He took it to his flooring sub and I was told, yup, it is still available. Thursday, the flooring guys installed a modest amount of planks (I had a peninsula removed and a wall was moved 12''). My GC told me over the phone that it wasn't an exact match, my floors had yellowed a bit. OK, I would not expect an exact match, and this flooring has lots of variation in it anyway. I got home late Thursday and didn't take a look. Friday, cabinets were delivered and installation began. The cabinets are perfect! But...whoa! The new sections of flooring were clearly not what I've walked on for 8 years. Yellowed my a**. I looked at the label on a carton of the new flooring and I saw the word "natural", not golden. Arhhgg! OK, deep breath Jon.

Skip to this morning, the flooring contractor was at my house with samples, confirmed they installed the wrong flooring. Assuming they can get their hands on the right stuff, they will be here Monday to make it right. Fortunately the cabinet install isn't any further along.

My GC will make this right, that is something I don't need to worry about. The bummer is the delay - maybe a week if the correct flooring isn't readily available.

Lesson learned (which I guess is the real point of this post): Whenever you install hardwood flooring, order a few extra boxes if you can, and tuck them away somewhere. If you can't, at least write down the exact and full description of what you used and attach to the one or two left over pieces you will keep.

OK, I feel better.

Jon

Comments (5)