SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cwalen_gw

Kitchen - and First Floor - Renovation is DONE!

cwalen
10 years ago

After 4 long months, our renovation is DONE. We are so pleased and I owe a huge THANKS to this board for inspiration, advice and guidance.

Backstory: We have a 1936 Cape Code that we purchased in 2008. The kitchen was updated by previous owners in the mid 90's. Dark Cherry, traditional cabinetry, laminate counters, almond appliances, and ceramic beige tile floors. Problem is, the kitchen was too closed off and offered no eat in options, and very small and closed off from rest of house. house{{gwi:807}}.

Other issues with the first floor include a very under-utilized left side of the house, with a formal DR that was in the farthest place from the kitchen - complete opposite corner of the first floor. After 5 years we also realized we really do not need a traditional full office. We are on laptops and work where ever the kids are located.

So we met with two contractors, went with the one with the best 'vision' and talked about what walls could go. We came up with a design that created a large formal 'great room' on the left side of the house, opened up and expanded the kitchen into the family room (the former living room), and converted the breakfast room into a mudroom with a larger coat & utility closet, built in cubbies for the kids book bags, etc, and a small 'command center' desk.

New First Floor Layout/Design

Finished Kitchen

Looking from new family room space into open concept kitchen:

Former breakfast room - new mudroom

New Formal Great Room

DETAILS:

Cabinetry: Diamond Amhearst maple in painted white. We saved $ with a partial overlay cabinet.

Hardware: RH asbury pulls for drawers in chrome and chrome knobs for doors.

Counters: Honed marble carrara. I did my own 'meg ryan' treatment - twice - with lemon juice scrub downs and made it more honed and more matte. Love!

Backsplash: carrara marble subway tiles. Major score - Lowe's mistakenly marked these at $1.50 sq ft, so I bought the whole store out. This ended up costing me less than $100 for my backsplash.

Appliances: Electrolux gas slide in range, electrolux convection microwave, electrolux french door fridge, bosch dishwasher.

Faucet: Delta Leyland in chrome. Delta soap dispenser in chrome with a Never MT unit. Debated on whether or not I needed one, and so glad I got it...I love it.

Flooring: Had original HW floors refinished in a walnut shade. African slate for mudroom in hopscotch pattern.

Paint: Behr classic silver for whole first floor. Trim in Behr classic white. Mudroom cubbies in Valspar Gotham Gray

Window coverings: Custom 3.5" plantation shutters throughout first floor in Behr classic white.

Lighting: schoolhouse pendants from Wayfair.com and all existing brass fixtures swapped out for brushed nickel or chrome. (Chrome in kitchen, brushed elsewhere). LED hard wired undercabinet lighting.

This post was edited by cwalen on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 16:00

Comments (68)