SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

redo a kitchen sink

loves2read
15 years ago

we are buying a house that is just 3 yrs old instead of building--

the kitchen is open and has oak-stained cabinets and St. Cecilia granite

has an island sink which is SS and two bowls of same dimensions...

I have now in my older home a sink I love--cast iron/porcelain with large bowl big enough to soak a roaster and smaller one with the garbage disposal ...

Most of the other kitchen design is good--and shows custom touches that we would have built--like heavy-weight drawer glides and pull-out drawers vs just shelves, large pantry w/window, cabinets close to D/W for dish storage (lack of is my pet peeve)...

BUT I want to take out the sink in this house we are buying and put in a larger one--maybe another porcelain one maybe SS...

when we were hoping to build a house I wanted soap stone counters for the tactile feel...

the counter run where the sink is is short--the D/W is raised and there is set of drawers on other side that goes to height of D/W topped by a bar-height granite countertop...

so there is just a few inches either side of the undermount sink for the that piece of granite..

Someone said that St. Cecilia is relatively uniform granite from slab to slab. With no piece to match on same horizontal as the sink even if the granite had to be replaced it might not be that noticible...

but now I am wondering how it would look to use soapstone for the sink area...

it has been long time since I have been on this forum...

does anyone remember a kitchen that combined granite and soapstone?

Any idea how difficult it might be to get soapstone sink done in the DFW TX area...definitely not close to areas where it is mined...

I have never cared for SS sinks and I LOVE my big sink--I don't think I can be happy in that kitchen without one...

and I think my husband is ok with spending the extra money since he likes the house more than I do...

this link is part of MLS video tour--shows kitchen and back of counter. You will have to pan back to see the kitchen. The open space is where the sink is located--there is no photo of front of sink island...

but I thought with black in the granite, the soapstone might not be out of place...especially when it is really not that visible...but there is not lot of black in kitchen itself...

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen video

Comment