SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agk2003

Inset vs. Overlay cabinets

agk2003
10 years ago

So, we met with a millwork guy in our area recommended by family. He showed us photos of his work and they looked great. We did a cabinet layout of our new kitchen and we showed him pictures of the cabinet style we liked. I thought we were good to go. Now i am seeing this distinction of inset vs. overlay cabinets on GW. I had no idea! Been looking at photos and though most of the photos I like are of inset cabinets, there have been a couple of overlay that I like as well. Would you recommend one over the other? We are going for a fairly traditional white kitchen with SS pro-look appliances, chrome hardware, gray slate-like tile flooring (we have brazilian walnut in the rest of the house but i thought wood would drive me crazy in the kitchen) and we may paint the peninsula gray to contract w/the white. anyhoo, though we like a traditional look, we sort of like some modern touches. would you recommend inset or overlay for any specific reason? is one more desireable? would one be considered more "modern"? Thank you for any advice.

Comments (50)