SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Help Me Decide - Narrow Kitchen Island

nehome
10 years ago

I've attached a picture of my kitchen with a mock island set up. The kitchen is narrow at 138". I've been pondering various layouts for months and had posted a plan on GW. The feedback included don't plan on having seating at the island and that the island was too close to the table. The island has now been designed with no seating at the end that is across from the fridge wall and 3 stools at the other end. We have also turned the table. I don't have copies of the current plans to post and I am finding it difficult to decide based on the paper plan anyway. I'm hoping this mock island set up will help me decide how it all "feels" and get some input from you all.

Here is what will change from the current kitchen - fridge will stay on that wall but push down in place of the pantry cab. The clearance from the corner of the fridge to the corner of the island will be 42". There will be 12" cabs on the rest of that wall with a 37" aisle clearance to the island (no seating). There are three stools at the other end of the island with a 49 1/2" clearance. The aisle on the sink side is 36" which seems to be fine for me. I need to decide:

1. Do I like coming into the kitchen directly into the island? Does this look good from the foyer? I have been used to a more open floor plan with the peninsula but the peninsula does not get used for prep or eating. I did receive positive feedback last time from others who had a narrow kitchen with an island who felt the kitchen was more open than with a peninsula. Not sure if my entrance from the foyer makes a difference.

2. Assuming the island makes sense, I need to decide on the range location:

Plan A - keep the range where it is so all appliances are outside of the island area. A "hutch" style cabinet with glass doors and an appliance garage located at the end where the peninsula is to balance the "heaviness" of all appliances at the other end.

PROS - keeps the triangle with easy access to fridge, water, range, the pretty glass hutch will be in view from the front door/foyer

CONS - no room for a lazy susan and end up with a narrow counter and cab as I have now

Plan B - move the range to the sink wall where the peninsula currently is so the island functions more of a prep space and the distribution of appliances is more balanced. There will be additional counter/cabinetry next to the range so it is not at the end of the cabinet run. "Hutch" style cabs with glass doors and appliance garage move to where the range is.

PROS - balances the kitchen better, island behind range provides additional prep space

CONS - may make that area of the kitchen too congested when entertaining with people at the island and me at the range, the range will be in view of the front door

What is the feedback? I have additional photos if it helps.

(don't know why photo is turned?)

Comments (27)