SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jossfan

cottage kitchen done, cream cabinets, wood floors

jossfan
13 years ago

When we moved into this 1940's 1600 sq ft house in 2001 (800 ft each floor) we knew we that wanted to take a few walls down and transform both a small dark pine-paneled room and a cheery but substandard galley kitchen into something special. We also knew that we wanted to paint the paneling and blend it into the kitchen. The next decision was to extend the white oak flooring into the kitchen -- I hadn't intended to, but a KD said that a uniform floor would make the combined kitchen/dining area feel more spacious -- she was right! Next major decision was the switch from Blue Pearl granite (small granite blocks are NOT good for decision-making) to Volga Blue (highly recommend going to granite distributor warehouses - most enjoyable part of the reno.) Paint colors were a trial, we ended up with BM Misted Gray, it reads green with grey undertones, serious but not too somber. (Originally wanted Silver Sage, but it washed out with all the lovely new light in the room.) The rest was a journey, thank goodness for GW and FK blog -- amazingly wonderfully generously good info! Bless you all!

Here's what we ended up with:

We also replaced a window in the dining area with a bay window. The GC thought it was a bit extravagant, budget-wise, but it made all the difference for this northwest corner of the house:

We had the floor install/refinish arranged before we settled on a GC, and the result was pretty, but not level, which created some problems for the GC. Hindsight, would have let the GC handle the floor redo, would have been considerably more expensive, but the end result would have been much better. But I still love how everything turned out, and the kitchen is a dream to work in.

Here's a link to my slide show, where you can see the two decisions that made me the happiest -- hiding the MW in a cabinet with a 'flip-up-slide-back' door, and choosing a wood cabinet for my 'can pantry', making a great transition from kitchen to dining area.

Comments (52)