SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Toaster Oven/Microwave In Prep/Cook Zone Or Out?

John Liu
13 years ago

I'm debating where the microwave and toaster oven should live.

On the one hand, these are appliances frequently used by Other People. As they toast their bagels, warm their milk, zap their leftovers, I want them out of my way. So that argues for placing the microwave and toaster oven at the kitchen's periphery, away for the core.

On the other hand, lately I've been using the toaster oven for more than just toast. Turns out it does a pretty good job of roasting veggies, broiling fish, roasting pieced chicken, and so on. It is convenient if the toaster oven is close by, for easy basting, turning, monitoring - and sometimes it could even stand to be near a vent hood.

As for the microwave, I don't use it for much at all during meal prep - just melting butter. But I suppose I could learn new tricks.

These are also, to me, among the least attractive small appliances in the kitchen. A gleaming curvy KA mixer is one thing, a plastic box with buttons is another. I'd like to hide them in a cubby, put them behind doors, get them off the counter. But I don't want form to hamper function.

Do you prefer these two appliances in the core of your kitchen, on the periphery, or banished to another room entirely? Did you conceal them, or do they sit out in plain view? Do you have them mounted up high, under cabinet, below the counter, or on the counter?

Comments (23)

• zelmar
    13 years ago

We have a work "G" (I think that's the layout it most closely represents.) The main prep/cook/clean up zone is on the 3 sides that form the "u" part of the G (the south peninsula for prep, range on the west wall, large sink on north wall) and the toaster and mw are on the 4th side (east wall--entry into the G.) The toaster oven sits on the counter and the mw on a shelf above it. The range and mw/toaster face each other.

I'm very pleased with this set up. It gives me easy access to t.o. & mw as the main cook but they are also available to others without coming into the heart of the prep/cook space. We keep mwable pyrex bowls in a drawer under the mw and plates are next to it. The refrigerator is close by.

The prep peninsula is in foreground. The range is not visible but is on the wall next to the peninsula right across from t.o./mw.

{{!gwi}}

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Good questions for a thread that I'm sure many on GW will be interested in following; you pose a practical question about toaster ovens and mircrowaves, but also a broader question of how to balance function and aesthetics in kitchen design.

What I'm doing:

I got rid of the toaster oven long ago (at the loss of considerable convenience!) and replaced it with an adorable, but much less functional, toaster. The toaster is cute enough (like your gleaming KA mixer) that I don't mind it on the otherwise clutter-free counters. I currently have my microwave in a far-away walk-in pantry; aesthetically this is pleasing, but far from functional especially since I use the microwave 2-3 times a day, mostly for melting butter.

In my new kitchen design the toaster will go on the counter next to the fridge, just outside of my main cooking zone on a 36" stetch of counter. I'll have a microwave drawer below that counter. This will be the snack/coffee zone. The espresso machine will also live here. In my dream design I'd also have a drawer bread box in this zone to store all the carbs my family likes to toast.

Long story short, I'll put the microwave and toaster out of my cooking zone in a designated spot for the three members of my family who do a lot of snacking, microwaving, and beverage drinking but no real cooking. My idea is to get those three adorable guys (DH and two dear sons) out of my cooking space so that I can more efficiently cook amazing food for them. At least that is the dream.

• Related Discussions

Microwave & Toaster are on Fritz...+ I want a 2nd oven...SOO

Q

Comments (3)
    This wouldn't address the microwave issue, but I have a double oven range that I absolutely LOVE. I use the top, smaller oven every day - it preheats super fast, and it also has a toast setting (enabled us to get rid of the toaster). This pic is of our old house, but it's a good pic of the range. In that kitchen, we had a shelf for the microwave right next to the range, as you can see, which freed up counter space. At first I thought I wouldn't like the microwave up so high, but it worked fine for us (no higher really than an OVR micro). Anyway, this might not be exactly what you had in mind (we have a pretty low-budget kitchen compared to the kitchens on this site!), but thought it might be helpful.
    ...See More

Replace Microwave/toaster oven with speed oven/convection microwave?

Q

Comments (22)
    So, make a niche(s) with the proper electric service and size to have a built-in put in if you really need it to sell (but I bet you won't)--if you're planning to sell within three years, get the built-ins already, but otherwise, they're going to be just so many used appliances. If yours are truly ratty, you can buy new versions of each. If you WANT a speed oven, and intend to use it as such, that's another story. Go for it! Read through the manuals, etc. But I think you'll find that it's not at all the same thing as your Breville toaster oven. You can use the convection oven settings on a speed oven to perform some of the same functions, but it's a real oven, with limitations, not a toaster that tap dances. I sometimes use my speed oven the way others use a toaster oven--mainly for heating up frozen appetizers or reheating casseroles when other ovens are full, but my old (dead) toaster oven was beloved for making great toast, which a speed oven isn't, and not for other uses. I do zap sandwiches on MW mode, and once in awhile lightly defrost or melt, but if I used a microwave more, I wouldn't have such an expensive machine doing it. I agree with putting enough thought into a remodel that it won't limit resale, because you never know what the future will bring--thus make sure there's place for built-ins to be built into--but unless it's a flip, it should be designed for your own use and enjoyment, and you used the key words "heavily use" and "love".
    ...See More

Can speed oven replace toaster oven and microwave?

Q

Comments (15)
    We have the full size Breville toaster oven bought for the kitchen reno and the Bosch speed oven. I really couldn't live without either now. I guess you could toast bread on broil in the speed oven but that mean you would have to get the rack out and it's just not as convenient or time saving. Having the versatility of both ovens makes me happy. We also have the side opening Bosch oven which is the star of the kitchen regarding how awesome the food comes out of it and ease of use.
    ...See More

Toaster oven vs microwave

Q

Comments (20)
    I have both a microwave and a toaster oven. If I had to give up one, it would be the microwave. In fact, the only reason I haven't already gotten rid of it is my husband and daughter use it. I prefer quality to convenience, and most microwaved food just doesn't taste that good. The handful of things that the microwave is good for (boiling water, heating canned soup, etc.) don't justify having a microwave IMHO. A toaster oven could be considered redundant since it does the same thing as the oven built into my range. It doesn't cook as evenly and probably is less energy efficient than my gas range. The main reason I have it is that it doesn't heat the entire kitchen up as much as the full size oven. I use the toaster oven in the summer when I wouldn't even consider using the built-in. We also use it to make toast since we don't have a toaster. Get right down to it, I could easily survive without a microwave or toaster oven. However, I suspect that most people these days use more prepared meals than I do. For cooking frozen meals and reheating leftovers, a microwave is quicker, which I think is what people who don't cook are looking for.
    ...See More
  • phallky03
    13 years ago

We are a toaster oven and microwave family as I don't do a lot of cooking now that the kids have moved out! I asked my husband if it was possible to place the toaster oven inside the pantry to hide it but be accessible. He said, "Uh, no. We will get rid of it." What?! I don't really want it setting out on the counter but not sure where to place it. I would love hearing other folks solutions to this as well!

• doonie
    13 years ago

I ended up putting my toaster oven & coffee pot in the walkin pantry. I have my mugs & coffee supplies readily handy above the coffee pot. We use the toaster oven mainly for breakfast items. Immediately outside of the pantry is a step can SS trash. So, I can dump the coffee grounds. Or I can move the can to wear I need it.

I got an undercounter microwave and it is to the left of me when I am prepping. The prep sink is to the right and the rangetop is behind him. I use the microwave mainly for melting too and I am loving this set up. The only down side is that the fridge is across from the microwave, so it can be annoying when the fridge and micro drawer are open at the same time. That being said, I love the convenience. I only wish my pantry were a couple of feet larger and a rectangular space. We could have put the microwave at the end of the island, but then that would have been what was seen upon entry to the kitchen, so form over function there.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

In our new kitchen, the micro will be on a shelf floating over the counter between the fridge and sink. It will be across from my prep area but within easy reach. We don't have a toaster oven, but have a nice looking toaster which will be in the back of our prep area in a cubby behind our counters.

{{!gwi}}

• byronroad
    13 years ago

We don't have a toaster oven but we do have a stainless steel sleek looking 4-toast toaster (an old cuisinart one) that we like and when we did our kitchen I put in enough counter so that it had its own space. It's by the plates and near the pantry which has the bread, peanut butter, etc in it, and by the dishwasher so kids can then put their dishes in it when done. (I'm still waiting for that part of the plan to happen). Microwave is under the counter in our peninsula at the other end of the kitchen. You can't see it from the family room or eating area which was the plan. It is used for heating mugs of hot water for tea, for cooking frozen veggies and heating leftovers. It's right by the prep sink and the microwave cover is in a drawer right underneath.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo, I may be mis-interpreting your picture, but I like the idea of the toaster oven living under a raised ''bar height'' counter on an island. Out of sight, convenient, makes one feel like a sushi chef - you know those little counter-top mini toaster ovens they use to roast eel?

I am not sure about undercounter microwaves. I tend to work fast - toss in the bowl of cold butter, slap the door shut, wait impatiently, yank the door open and snatch out the melted butter as the door bounces shut on its abused hinges. I wonder if the opening motion of the undercounter microwaves is such that I'll get frustrated, or spill a lot. They're somewhat expensive, too.

What they need to make is a mini-microwave, the size of a coffee mug. It could even be recessed into the wall, a magic dispenser of melted butter.

My original (current) design plan has a wall pantry with a row of cubbies or garages, 25'' deep, at belt height, fitted with overhead tuck-away doors. They would be sized to fit most small appliances that aren't too tall: microwave, toaster oven (with adequate clearance), my ice cream maker, crockpot / slow cooker, rice cooker, a waffle or panini maker, whatever. Since the garages are full- depth, two or three appliances could fit in each, Each garage would be fitted with an electrical outlet, a full-extension roll-out shelf for the appliance(s), and a pull-out ''landing zone'' shelf immediately below. The idea is that most of my counter-top appliances could live tucked away there. Some could be used in place (microwave, toaster oven) while others would simply be stored there, and lifted out and set on a counter for use (rice cooker, deep fryer, crockpot). Yes, I could fit a lot of small appliances into a small space this way. The problem is that the wall pantry will be at the kitchen periphery, in a high traffic area, not near the cook zone or anything else.

So I'm re-thinking the whole concept. Seeing your solutions is really helpful.

• scrapbookheaven
    13 years ago

This is the way that I have my kitchen arranged: it is a u-shaped kitchen with an island in the middle.

North side: Sink centered on wall with the garbage pullout to the left and the dishwasher to the right.

East side: Counter, range, counter, fridge, then pullout broom closet.

South side: Walk in pantry, Microwave on a shelf in upper cabinet with toaster oven sitting on counter below it. Paper plates are in drawer below the toaster oven. Then rest of ocunter.

Here was my reasoning. I wanted the microwave to be accessable to snackers using the fridge to heat something up-hence the paper plates below it. The same is true for the toaster oven. And they were both stainless steel so seemed to match being over one another. It is not too far from the cooking zone for me to use either. When I am cooking, usually I tell snackers to WAIT until the meal is finished to eat! So usually snackers don't interfere with food prep.

I've been in the kitchen for a week and it seems to work well for us so far. The only items that are not terribly efficient are the cups. I have them stored over the dishwasher on the east side, but it would be nice to have them near the fridge for snackers. I think I will just have to deal with is as it is.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Microwave is in "out" position and toaster oven is floating about, trying to decide where to live in new kitchen. Like Zelmar, I have G with range at deepest end and MW on the top of the G nearer to refrig and table and adjacent rooms, etc. I use microwave frequently, esp. for reheating.

Am new to toaster ovens; this used one came secondhand recently from elderly woman who was leaving home. Because I don't have a second oven, this unit is serving as mini-oven for two retired people when a small item is being baked. I use it primarily for "egg bake" breakfasts and goofy quick bread concoctions. Currently it's next to range because I have to decide "regular oven or little oven?" when I prepare something small that might not deserve the cost and heat for a large oven. I hope to get a range with a second small oven some day so I can get rid of this silly thing. Have also positioned it next to toaster at refrig at end of top of G but that is prime real estate that is seen from other spaces and I'm not sure it deserves it. I'd rather have a potted plant or display piece there--something for the soul.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo, I may be mis-interpreting your picture, but I like the idea of the toaster oven living under a raised ''bar height'' counter on an island. Out of sight, convenient, makes one feel like a sushi chef - you know those little counter-top mini toaster ovens they use to roast eel?

I am not sure about undercounter microwaves. I tend to work fast - toss in the bowl of cold butter, slap the door shut, wait impatiently, yank the door open and snatch out the melted butter as the door bounces shut on its abused hinges. I wonder if the opening motion of the undercounter microwaves is such that I'll get frustrated, or spill a lot. They're somewhat expensive, too.

What they need to make is a mini-microwave, the size of a coffee mug. It could even be recessed into the wall, a magic dispenser of melted butter.

My original (current) design plan has a wall pantry with a row of cubbies or garages, 25'' deep, at belt height, fitted with overhead tuck-away doors. They would be sized to fit most small appliances that aren't too tall: microwave, toaster oven (with adequate clearance), my ice cream maker, crockpot / slow cooker, rice cooker, a waffle or panini maker, whatever. Since the garages are full- depth, two or three appliances could fit in each, Each garage would be fitted with an electrical outlet, a full-extension roll-out shelf for the appliance(s), and a pull-out ''landing zone'' shelf immediately below. The idea is that most of my counter-top appliances could live tucked away there. Some could be used in place (microwave, toaster oven) while others would simply be stored there, and lifted out and set on a counter for use (rice cooker, deep fryer, crockpot). Yes, I could fit a lot of small appliances into a small space this way. The problem is that the wall pantry will be at the kitchen periphery, in a high traffic area, not near the cook zone or anything else.

So I'm re-thinking the whole concept. Seeing your solutions is really helpful.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have no idea why I'm double posting, sometimes hours apart. Something about GW and iPhone. I'll figure it out and stop it.

• leela4
    13 years ago

I really wish they would make a mini mw-maybe a little bigger than a coffee mug, but at least half the size of the smallest current ones. The smallest I've seen is the *Half Pint*.

Our toaster oven lives on the counter and that's okay with me right now. I do use it pretty frequently as it's big enough to bake some things in and there are only 2 of us (it came in really handy when we had no oven during the remodel). It's as big as most countertop mws however, and I don't want the 2 competing for space if I decide to rip out our OTR mw. I surely do wish I had thought of all this before.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I did not plan for a toaster oven, as we did not have a good one until we demo'd the old kitchen and bought one for our temp kitchen. Then I liked it so much we kept it. We put it in the prep area, next to the other ovens. It isn't optimal visually but it works well there. The good news it that the prep shelf takes the place of any counter space we lost.

The microwave was planned, and it's totally out of the way, across the island and built into a hutch. I like it there, very much. The hutch has a freezer drawer, so I keep anything microwavable in there (mostly steamfresh rice and tamales, come to think of it. And sometimes the kids eat frozen waffles).

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of real minis, of course with my cooking spray area a USB connection is probably not the best idea, but maybe for keeping my coffee hot as I spend yet more wee hours on this site? Not sure how to use two links so Part A and B

Here is a link that might be useful: minis

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of real minis, of course with my cooking spray area a USB connection is probably not the best idea, but maybe for keeping my coffee hot as I spend yet more wee hours on this site? Not sure how to use two links so Part A and B

Here is a link that might be useful: mini mini!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

johnliu - your cubby description is a larger version of what will be at the back of my island. Each is a 36" wide cab, 15" deep and 18" tall. They will help hide the high back of my Chambers stove (the brown part of this picture). I will put my kitchen electrics in there other than the mw and bottleless water cooler (which will be on a shelf on the other side of my sink).
    This rendering is the best that the IKEA program will do, but I will have some filler pieces and the backs of the cubbies will obviously be covered on the other side. The rest of the back of my island will be storage facing away from the kitchen.
    {{!gwi}}

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I have 2 microwaves - one on a shelf below the counter next to the range and the other in the far outskirts which we call the sandwich area on the counter (where we make school lunches, snacks, warm up bagels, etc.) The 2nd one is for the kids and when I need more than one. Once the kids leave home the 2nd microwave will probably go too. The toaster will live here also. Since I have 2 ovens in the 48" range I did not think I needed a toaster oven.

I love having 2 microwaves and use 2 at once probably once or twice a day. I also love having the microwave next to the range. Remember most microwaves seem to open their doors from the right to the left (left handed?). Instead of the drawer microwave I just used my old one on the shelf - much cheaper.

• cj47
    13 years ago

I put my microwave on the far side of the kitchen, far away from the prep and cooking zone. It's closer to the dining table than it is to the cooking area, which makes sense because it can then be used to warm things up if need be. I never use it for cooking anything, not even for melting butter, only for warming up leftovers, and then not always. The kids, however, do use it so I want it out of my way and easy for them to get to.

Cj

• Susan
    13 years ago

we'll have two toaster ovens---one in the pantry with the mw. the other toaster oven will stay in dh's 'chef's corner' with his rice maker, since he uses those quite a bit; and the mw rarely.
    the extra fridge and freezer are in the pantry too, with the main fridge in the kitchen proper. this way leftovers will automatically be stored in the pantry fridge, bevvies too.
    the kitchen fridge will be mainly cooking ingredients, so the rest of us are out of hubby's way for snacks and drinks.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

We have no toaster oven at the moment, though as I approach the holidays oven-less one may find its way here. We use an old Dualit toaster that will keep its chubby cheeks unabashedly visible on a counter near the range.

Our MW will be stowed on the end of an island, literally just around the corner from the range run aisle. It will be tucked on ashelf just under the counter, though it is a conventional counter-top model with a front opening door. We've have been testing this placement for a few months and find it quite convenient, though unconventional. The only snag is that the door opens from the right (as they all do apparently), which is less than perfect for this placement. It's just a step away from the fridge and pantry, and largely out of the main cook/prep aisle.

It's old as mws go, but nothing I've laid my mitts on in stores feels as solid and well-built as this 1990 GE. I go up and down the appliance store aisles, opening and closing the mws, which all feel tinny to me.

I do use it a lot for cooking vegetables, and scrambling eggs (coddling them, really). We drink no coffee or tea, so I have no idea how mw work for beverage service (do you actually brew coffee in them?)I use it to make oatmeal and home-made popcorn, too.

I think if mws are used by the non actively-cooking family members during meal prep, they are best out of action area. If the cook uses one regularly then they should be incorporated into working cook/prep zone. If both cook and concurrent non-cooks are using mws at the same time, then perhaps two should be considered, with the non-cook one really out of the main work zone, perhaps in the pantry.

I should point out that I am not as offended as many people are by visible appliances, as long as they are parked in the most useful, and necessary sites. My kitchen is intended to be a cooking workroom and I have don't have it connected to social spaces where decor is the driving force on purpose.
    L

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't know if you need another more general response, but to answer your original question, I have the microwave (Advantium) outside of the prep/cook zones, but only by a few steps. It's no trouble to melt something (actually easy since the programs on it are pretty accurate), and it's in the right place for when I'm using it as a spare oven. It's next to the fridge which is next to the freezer, so it's in the perfect location for most of our microwaving tasks. I don't cook in a microwave, and now that I have a steam oven I don't steam in it anymore either. That would be the one reason I could think you might want it in the cook zone, though I think you're more likely to steam in a wok, right?

My toaster oven lives in a drawer since it's only for (infrequent) toast. It could live on the counter next to the Advantium if the Advantium hadn't taken over its non-toasting jobs. (The Advantium will toast, but the outcome isn't great.)

I like having the wall ovens all a few steps from the prep/cook zone. They all face narrow ends of the island (U-shape), which is convenient. They're not so far as to not be accessible (like on the far pantry wall as is often seen in magazines), but they're not taking up space where I don't need them to be.

I don't know if I'm communicating this well. What I mean is all ovens, MW and toaster included) are great to have just outside command central. Accessible to the cook, accessible to others, but out of the way.

• marcy96
    13 years ago

My microwave is on a shelf next to my fridge and the toaster oven is on the counter underneath it. I wish I could get rid of the toaster over, but with small children, we do use it a lot to heat up fries, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc. But at least now it is out of the way of my prep space.

• reneepapa_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

So is it possible to USE a toaster oven that is on a shelf in an island or is it a fire hazard? Does anyone know the answer to this?