SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osakans

Flipping Side-by-Side Refrigerator?

osakans
13 years ago

I'm seeking some help with a conundrum we're facing in our new kitchen layout. In short, is it weird to essentially replicate a 48" side-by-side refrigerator using a 30" refrigerator column and 18" freezer column but putting the refrigerator on the left (understanding that this may well cost a little more than buying a single 48" unit and that we'll have a little less capacity)?

My wife and I have spent literally dozens of hours mapping out different layout options for the island, counters and appliances in our to-be-built kitchen (the house is framed and largely roughed (except the kitchen) and the exterior walls, openings, windows and skylights in the kitchen are frozen in stone). Our leading layout candidate has an island that's at an angle to the wall on which the refrigerator would sit. The refrigerator sits on the south wall and the island is angled from northeast to southwest, meaning that it's closer to the refrigerator on the west side (i.e., right side of the refrigerator as you're facing it) than the left side.

When we finally thought to draw the arcs for the refrigerator doors (my wife's idea 100%), we noticed that the 30" refrigerator door of a 48" wide unit clears the island but only by 4 inches and we're concerned that will create a significant barrier every time someone opens the refrigerator door. If we instead draw a 30" radius arc from the left hand side of the refrigerator, it clears the island by more than 14 inches. Same if we draw an 18" radius arc from the right hand side of the refrigerator. We think we can live with 14" clearance when the door is open.

Every single pre-built side-by-side refrigerator we've seen has the refrigerator on the right and we're wondering if it would be just odd to build an arrangement that effectively looks like a 48" wide side-by-side unit but flipped so the refrigerator is on the left hand side.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)