SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanieboettcher

URGENT: Kitchen Layout:afraid to as but afraid not to...

joanieboettcher
11 years ago

I posted this in gallery and wonder if that is the wrong place? I have lots of pictures there. Please help! I am supposed to sign the contract today and I can't sleep and feel uncomfortable on this...

Here is the gallery posting w/o pics. I apologize if I shouldn't have done this

I have arm wrestled with my kitchen, KD, contractor and DH for the past 5 months. This is the layout we came up with and I am happy with it. Even though it doesn't seem like it should, the kitchen has limitations due to doors/entries (5), enough said.

I would love feedback- are there any glaring problems that we may not have seen? I will post the 3D renderings one at a time- not sure how many I can throw in at a time.

Goals:

This is a 45 yo kitchen that has never had ANY love. I love to bake and it is drudgery to cook in this kitchen. I would like to correct that. I am an o.k cook, but with interest I could be much better. I have made dishes DH says are restaurant quality- and he should know. We now have limited counter top (we use about 24" of current counter top 90% of time) and I would love to have storage for food. Because this is a 1967 home, it is boxy and I am hoping to open it a bit to the family room. These are the two rooms we spend most of our time in.

This kitchen is used by me and DH. I have two married children, one of whom has blessed us with one 20 mo old granddaughter (Iggy) and a soon to be grandson (Squiggy). No, that is not their real names.

We are not big entertainers, but I would like to change that some. We do have a formal DR & LR (sigh) that we don't use much, but that is due to the boxy house. Maybe I have to rethink that, too. Later.

We are planning to change the window over the sink to mimic a garden window without the problems. Our 6' sliding glass (looks like a swing door, but we vacillated and decided slider works best) door is shrinking to 5.'

We are taking down a few half walls- one is load bearing, but we are making that area into a peninsula.

I know that the layout help has more questions, but can we start with this?

Thank you all!

Joan

Comments (23)