SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobengalsandme

never hire your friends to remodel your house! w/pics

twobengalsandme
15 years ago

Or so goes the conventional wisdom. I'm fortunate to be blessed with friends who are not only great friends, but true craftsmen as well. Here are a few pics of my almost finished kitchen, part of a whole house remodel that started in May of this year. The entire house, every surface, every light, even all of the plumbing (it was built in 1985 and plumbed with the gray polybutylene) was stripped bare. Most of the sheetrock stayed up, but that was it. All of the wood for the remodel came from a friend of my buddy who did the remodel, who has a yard in Missoula, MT specializing in salvaged & reclaimed timber. We got about 3000 board feet of old growth Doug fir that came from a hazardous tree sale near Columbia Falls, Mt. Some went to be milled into the flooring. We shipped the rest to Salt Lake, where a portion went to Cascade Doors in Lindon, who built all of my interior doors from it. A little went to a great guy in Missoula named Ted Lowe, who built the massive 2 1/4" thick entry door. The rest was stacked in my garage, yard, etc, where my friends who did the remodel milled all of the case, base, window trim, built in bookshelf, etc. The timbers in the entry are 8 x 8" fir beams that were reclaimed from an old Anaconda mine near Butte, MT.

Anyway, apologies for the long intro, but I'm really proud of the job these guys did, and of the personal connection that I have to all of these beautiful materials and the friends who transformed them into my home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen pics

Comments (18)