SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Please review Ver 2, cheaper k. expansion-: add breakfast room

scrappy25
11 years ago

Greetings, this post details Version 2 of a possible kitchen expansion.

I posted the first version two weeks ago, which included an 18' wide, 6.5 foot deep expansion off the back of the house. There were many helpful comments but buehl nailed a great layout for that configuration.

See linked thread if interested.

I will be presenting these 2 versions to contractors for pricing to see which type of expansion gives us the most bang for the buck.

Repeat information about us:

1. We are a family of five with three boys ages 21,18, and 15. The older 2 are in college. I would like to have a large kitchen for extended family and friends gatherings well into the future. There should be room for 2 cooks.

We do have a kitchenette in the basement with an additional full refrigerator for overflow.

2. My husband is insistent on a separate eating area hence the breakfast room addition. Dining room is needed separately and will stay as a dining room. I might like a few seats on the island for "visiting" with the cook.

3. We have a great backyard and would like to showcase that through the windows. In this design, it would be the breakfast room addition and in front of the cleanup sink. I would like the windows to go down as low as practical.

4. We do a lot of stovetop cooking and some stir fry as we are Asian origin. Planned appliances: 36" induction cooktop, 36" vent hood, 30" wall oven, 30" 240v advantium, 42" subzero SxS fridge (paneled), bosch dishwasher (paneled).

Version 2 expansion does not take down any walls; the existing 80" wide window in the breakfast nook across from the door to the front hallway becomes a large walkway/opening to a new breakfast room, perhaps 10x 10 feet? Existing breakfast nook space gives way to the main aisle to the planned breakfast room addition, the counter stool eating area, and the coffee/breakfast center.

I was really hoping to include an island but the aisles would only be 36" and 40", so I eventually gave up on that and went with a slightly expanded U shaped kitchen, with counter stools outside the "U". My brainstorm was to place a breakfast center between the walkway to the new eating area and the family room, complete with under counter fridge/freezer, perhaps a small upper microwave, and perhaps even a single dishwasher drawer, creating a coffee/breakfast/snack center. The prep sink in the peninsula is close enough to service that coffee/breakfast center.

There would be two prep centers- between the stove and the cleanup sink , and along the peninsula. The trash is convenient to both of those.

I have tried to include the aisle widths. Please let me know if you need to know any other measurements. Again, I welcome critiques and suggestions. thank you in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Version 1 Kitchen addition and layout proposal, please review/critique

Comments (17)