SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcinwdc

Should I get contractor to do tiling?

dcindc
15 years ago

How hard would it be to hire someone just to tile the backsplash behind the range? It's such a small job, I'm afraid I'll never get anyone. I don't think we could do it ourselves because it requires a stone cutter (it's carerra marble tile in sheets with marble pencil border).

We despise our contractor and really want to be done with him. He and his crew are basically competent (although not detail oriented enough for us, but generally fine), but the contractor and my husband do NOT get along at all. They have already had it out several times, and the dislike is obviously mutual. The guy who we think would do the tiling is decent, but not fabulous.

We ordered a butcher block countertop for one side of the kitchen through the contractor, and that's not arriving until Oct. 10. So it's not like we will be rid of him any time soon even though we are really almost done (countertops are in, plumbing is tomorrow; just the "punch list" and finishing the floors).

I want to just get it done, but if I thought I could get someone else to do it easily, I would probably just do that. Who do you even hire for this job? OTOH, if we don't do it now, I can see that the tile would just sit and collect dust downstairs...

Thanks!

Comments (17)