SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancymark111

Floor Plan--Please critique NYC apt.

nancymark111
10 years ago

I am planning on renovation a NYC, second floor 1200 sq ft apt. Please critique the layout.

We are a family of 4, children age 8 and 12. I make lots of fresh foods, salads and pastas, and bake weekly. This is our forever house and we want to get it right." . MW is used daily. Storage, functionaliy, and convenience are primary issues. We use the kitchen, and small dinning room extensively, as well as all part of the apt :) . Kitchen is about 11x10ft. Living room 18x17ft, Dining room 9x5.5ft.

� How many people will work food in the kitchen at the same time?
One

� Are there any special cooking needs - and related appliances and storage - to consider? (Do you bake, microwave popcorn, keep Kosher, make espresso, grill indoors, etc.)

None

� Who else will use the kitchen and for what? Coffee with the neighbor, feeding the dog, little kids doing homework, big kids surfing the net, etc. Consider all the possible non-food activities as well as any users� special needs: toddlers, elderly, physically challenged, etc.

None of the above

� What is the traffic situation? Does part of the kitchen function as a passageway from one part of the home to another? Where do the groceries come in and where does the garbage go out?

see below for the layout ( which was done 15 years ago when I moved in as a newly wed ). Currently, there are 7 feet between the oven and the peninsula, I prefer to move the peninsula closer so that the living room will be larger (if it can be done)

� What are your storage needs? Do you shop frequently or prefer to keep a lot on hand? Do you have lots of gadgets, china, special pans, etc.

DH does prefer to keep a lot on hand, so we do need lots of storage.

� Where are you on �form over function� vs. �function over form�? Would you prioritize perfect point of use storage or perfect visual symmetry in the look of the cabinets?

I am definitely more concerned about function than form

� What is your budget? Is there money for structural changes like moving a window?

I like to keep all the windows where they are. I like to take out the closet in the living room since there is actually a small window in there. I like to put up some cabinet/shelves adjacent to the big window in the living room to provide storage, see below.

Question: The heating panel is along the wall with the big window. See below. Would I get enough heat with design like this? Does it cause a problem to the wood cabinet/shelves long term?

Thank you.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH