SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

updates:broom, short pantry;microwave,faucet,disposal switch

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

A recent post about posters not following up with results pinched my conscience. Not that my problems were large scale or everyone is holding their breath....as with "Huge contractor overrun"

I got a an Italian boars' head broom (blonde!!!!) purely on impulse because nothing else looked pretty in my kitchen and I chanced across the $100 dollar broom thread. (mine was $30 + s/h) It is also too tall for the short broom closet cum pantry.
I decided I was mostly at fault for the short closet. Should have gone home and measured my own brooms. The pantry is the size KD and I decided on together. I think a KD ought to know the standard measurements of anything posing as a broom closet.
However, I have a real, though small pantry with the w/d and long shelves, that will be largely empty when this deal is done. I will cut slots into shelves there and have a cleaning supply wall. Actually more accessible than the original plan.
Next, I complained about the microwave jut problem. Convinced by more looking that it happens often. I think it is ugly, but to fix it means uninstalling micro, getting somehting smaller then retrofitting cabinentry for smaller one. NOT worth the time and aggravation. I'm convinced I won't notice micro jut in a week. Don't you think we should add "micro jut" to the Kitchen Forum lexicon?
Then, distant disposal switch. My lord, you people are wonderful! Who knew about air switches? Not my carpenter. My GC has stopped answering emails, so I don't know if he knows about them.
I didn't even post about switched left/right lever placement on faucet b/c of my misplacement of soap dispenser hole.
Suffice it to say, for some more money (what's another couple hundred when one is twice over budget...that's a rotten foundation, not a rotten contractor story) I can have the plumber pull the detergent spout, put an air switch there, restore the faucet handle to the right. If I really want to splurge I can have the granite installers to come drill another hole for my detergent dispenser.
The faucet has caused me more decision tremors than anything else. I have dithered and dithered. I don't even know what I'm dithering about about anymore.You all don't need to be bothered!

I have learned than any decision I don't make myself and is made by someone else, is likely to be a decision I'm not happy with. Nevertheless I really don't have time for all this stuff. so I must let some things go as long as they are not egregiously anti-ergometic, life threatening, or truly repulsive aesthetically.
(Yes, my sink is centered. No, I probably wouldn't notice if it were a couple inches off. For all I know, it is)
Soon I will have lighting questions. The 4" cans are in, the wiring's there for undercounters. I just want to be sure the electrician doesn't use prison yard quality bulbs.
However, I don't understand 90% of what's written on the lighting forum. Truly.....I don't know most of the words.

That's my teeny-weeny update about teeny tiny issues.
marie/idabean

Comments (7)

• kksmama
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice update! I'd like to see a picture of that broom.

I should begin my mornings with this meditation:
    "I have learned than any decision I don't make myself and is made by someone else, is likely to be a decision I'm not happy with. Nevertheless I really don't have time for all this stuff. so I must let some things go as long as they are not egregiously anti-ergometic, life threatening, or truly repulsive aesthetically."

• romy718
    10 years ago

Thanks Idabean. Entertaining post. I saw the picture of your broom closet & thought it looked like a very nice pantry. I'm glad you figured out a way to take advantage of the storage & get your brooms in there. I laughed when I saw your 2010 repost of the Brookhaven broom closet that was too short. My recently installed 2013 Brookhaven broom closet - too short.
    There is a lot to fret & worry about. I have a "Kitchen Worries" list on my Ipad.
    There are several very helpful lighting threads on the kitchen forum.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I had a too-short broom closet once. This time the brooms are going in the laundry room (btw, I got my boar bristle broom in the mail today, and I've decided to OT even open the box (other than to peek to make sure they sent the right thing) until we move into the condo in a few weeks! )

As for "all those details", this is the second time I'm doing this in 7 years, and the details are daunting. We're meeting with the cabinet person tomorrow for hopefully the last time. I just spent an hour going over the plans she sent me today (elevations and dimensions) as well as going through the approximately 120 emails between us since Sept. 18th to make sure nothing was missed! The absolutely easiest part was picking the cabinet and counter finishes!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Lol about the lighting forum! People are SO helpful and I appreciate it so much but seriously, researching lighting was my worst! I had no clue what i was reading. And, my kitchens almost done and lighting is ending up being one thing I'm least happy with :(

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Dear lady, we thrive on those little issues....remember, we are all, to one degree or another TKO.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

"I have learned than any decision I don't make myself and is made by someone else, is likely to be a decision I'm not happy with. Nevertheless I really don't have time for all this stuff. so I must let some things go as long as they are not egregiously anti-ergometic, life threatening, or truly repulsive aesthetically."

...classic quote, love it;)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Idabean and homebuyer23, I definitely agree with you on the lighting forum. I have read through those posts about recessed lights and under cabinet lights several times and just don't have a grasp on what they're talking about!! I'm glad I'm not the only one! The people are so nice and helpful so I appreciate their effort though:)